Italian Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have never tried the bechamel sauce on lasagna. I rarely make this dish as it takes a lot of time and effort.
But I am going to try the bechamel. And always finish the top with bechamel?

Yes, and a scattering of grated cheese on top of that if you're in my house. No idea if the grated cheese is authentic but we like it.

As for the time factor. I make a vat of ragu or Bolognese sauce and freeze it in manageable lots so I can run up a portion of lasagne or spag bol etc.. I also make lasagne and freeze it either before baking in a big dish in case of visitors or bake it, eat a portion and freeze the rest in portions for one or two servings.

You can buy "no cook" lasagne sheets which don't need boiling but really if you make your sauces a bit more runny than usual you can use the normal ones. I find it best if you can let the assembled dish sit for a while before baking.

OK, OK, I'm sure this will offend the purists and I'd do it properly if I was foolish enough to insult any Italians by serving my lasagne to them but the pasta hint was given to me by my elderly Italian neighbour.

Last edited:
We used to buy the "no cook" lasagna noodles. But, we just use the regular ones now and don't cook them first. Of course, it works just fine with fresh, undried lasagna noodles.

We used to buy the "no cook" lasagna noodles. But, we just use the regular ones now and don't cook them first. Of course, it works just fine with fresh, undried lasagna noodles.

I buy Barilla no boil noodles for their size and thinness. But, I boil them briefly as they are easier to handle and I don't have to change my sauce to hydrate the noodles. I use a pan that the noodles fit perfectly without cutting. If I make a larger batch, I use a different pan that requires cutting noodles. That's a lot easier if they're pliable.

Thank you Roll_Bones. This is a mental lapse. It should read:

A true Bolognese would be a meat sauce with tomato and cream.

you are doing your Bolognese with cream? :ermm:

But I also use lightly cooked non cooking lasagna noodles ;o)
better to cut in form..

I buy no boil noodles too. I think that is more fast and simple and my lasagne are good as other.
Yes Roll Bones, you always finish the top of lasagne with bechamel cream.

I always boil the noodles al dente first, then I cut them into thirds. Although they fit perfectly in the pan, since they are cut, the cheese sinks in a bit between the cut noodles and the finished lasagne is "scored" making it easier to cut into portions. It doesn't really take longer because the noodles are boiling while I'm preparing the sauce.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom