Italian Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatPat

Washing Up
I've been exploring Southern foods and cooking, and found so very many very good things my friends and my family like very, very much, and so my menus have begun to expand. I like this!

My new attempt at exploring new and different cooking is now Italian cooking and foods. This will start soon. Of course, I'll need help again as I go along but as in the last time, I know I'll have very much help!

I wish to thank all of you in advance, for I know I'll receive wonderful advice and tips, and I also do wish to warn you of this. I'm sure you all are thinking of, "Oh, no, here we go again!" And I do certainly understand!

I'd like to start simply, so any help you can give me is so very appreciated. We shall see how this goes, yes?

Thank you so very much!

With love,
~Cat

I have the book linked below, and I highly recommend it for anyone who aspires to be an Italian cook. It was only recently translated into English, but it's been the cooking bible in Italy for half a century. It's sort of The Joy of Cooking for Italian foods, including a section on terminology and equipment. 1199 pages not counting the index. I've had it for about 5 years, and I have yet to try anything from it that isn't a winner.

The Silver Spoon

I have the book linked below, and I highly recommend it for anyone who aspires to be an Italian cook. It was only recently translated into English, but it's been the cooking bible in Italy for half a century. It's sort of The Joy of Cooking for Italian foods, including a section on terminology and equipment. 1199 pages not counting the index. I've had it for about 5 years, and I have yet to try anything from it that isn't a winner.

The Silver Spoon

Oh my! Thank you so very much! I have kept this to the top of the favorites of the online cookbooks. I'll start exploring this tomorrow while Mamma is still here, and I know she will like this also!

How very nice of you to do this for me, RPCooking. Thank you!

With love,
~Cat

La Cucina Italiana | Italian recipes, cooking, ingredients and food guides

This is the US Website of one of the biggest italian cooking magazines..
Italian cooking is very very compley and hard to explain in a few words..

An italian menu mostly consists of Antipasti, primi piatti (Pasta, Risotto, Soup), secundi piatti ( fish, meat, game, egg dish, poultry) with contorni (side dish) and a dolci (dessert)..

any more questions? What do you want to know?

I used to get La Cucina Italiana magazine and it is fun to read and packed with recipes for all skill levels. That's a great beginner source.

I would suggest starting with sauces. A basic marinara sauce, Alfredo sauce, piccata, butter and sage, etc.

I love this site for inspiration and reference: http://www.archimedes-lab.org/pastashape.html

Many of these shapes are not readily available, but maybe that will inspire you to make your own pasta one day :)

Last edited:
You are going to love it. Such a rich and healthy way to eat.....The recipes vary from one part of the country to the other. Very European in the North through to the Mediterranean and down to the South where there are Northern African influences.....a certain dish can be prepared many different ways, depending on the region it is being made in.....

Cat, start by watching Lydia on PBS. She is one of the most real Italian's on TV today. Some of her recipes can be more than you need to learn, but you will learn the mechanics of cooking Italian. She not only tells you the "how", but also the "why". And that is important in learning anything. Fortunately, since she has been in this country since her childhood, she has lost her accent, and is easier to understand. Occasionally she will have her mother on to test and eat her cooking. (Her biggest teacher.) Now the mother still has her accent. But you can even understand her.

Lidia's Italy In America | Create TV

:angel:

I used to get La Cucina Italiana magazine and it is fun to read and packed with recipes for all skill levels. That's a great beginner source.

I would suggest starting with sauces. A basic marinara sauce, Alfredo sauce, piccata, butter and sage, etc.

I love this site for inspiration and reference: Edible Geometry (1)

Many of these shapes are not readily available, but maybe that will inspire you to make your own pasta one day :)

The Silver spoon starts right after the Table of Contents with a two page introduction entitled "Eating is a Serious Matter". This is followed by terms and equipment, then Chapter One is Sauces and Marinades and Flavored Butters. You start getting into the wonderful flavors of Italy immediately. :chef:

The Silver spoon starts right after the Table of Contents with a two page introduction entitled "Eating is a Serious Matter". This is followed by terms and equipment, then Chapter One is Sauces and Marinades and Flavored Butters. You start getting into the wonderful flavors of Italy immediately. :chef:
I have owned the Silver Spoon for years now and agree that it is a great book. Kind of like the Italian version of THE JOY OF COOKING. What I really was surprised to see is how simple many of the recipes are. The authentic Italian recipes have fewer ingredients than most North American versions of the same ones. Very basic, rustic and original recipes of every day Italian meals...

This will be fun. My mother was Italian and we ate lots of Italian food at home.
She never used a cookbook though and I don't either.

If I want to make a dish I am not familiar with, I use the internet. This forum most likely has enough Italian recipes to keep you going for quite some time.

Oh my goodness! Such wonderful replies! Thank you all so very much! I have copied and pasted all of these onto Word where I can see this offline also, along with all the links.

I already make spaghetti. DA and I can our own tomato sauce and I use either Italian sausage in it (not hamburger) and ground veal or pre-made meatballs. I think I'd like to start with making my own real Italian meatballs.

Am I a food snob if I don't like hamburger in spaghetti? And am I wrong for using frozen meatballs? They do taste good to me but I'd like to do better.

With love,
~Cat

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom