"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #1
Proud American

Italian Cooking

I've been exploring Southern foods and cooking, and found so very many very good things my friends and my family like very, very much, and so my menus have begun to expand. I like this!

My new attempt at exploring new and different cooking is now Italian cooking and foods. This will start soon. Of course, I'll need help again as I go along but as in the last time, I know I'll have very much help!

I wish to thank all of you in advance, for I know I'll receive wonderful advice and tips, and I also do wish to warn you of this. I'm sure you all are thinking of, "Oh, no, here we go again!" And I do certainly understand!

I'd like to start simply, so any help you can give me is so very appreciated. We shall see how this goes, yes?

Thank you so very much!

With love,
~Cat

Old 01-06-2014, 11:30 PM   #2
Head Chef

I have the book linked below, and I highly recommend it for anyone who aspires to be an Italian cook. It was only recently translated into English, but it's been the cooking bible in Italy for half a century. It's sort of The Joy of Cooking for Italian foods, including a section on terminology and equipment. 1199 pages not counting the index. I've had it for about 5 years, and I have yet to try anything from it that isn't a winner.

The Silver Spoon

Old 01-06-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I have the book linked below, and I highly recommend it for anyone who aspires to be an Italian cook. It was only recently translated into English, but it's been the cooking bible in Italy for half a century. It's sort of The Joy of Cooking for Italian foods, including a section on terminology and equipment. 1199 pages not counting the index. I've had it for about 5 years, and I have yet to try anything from it that isn't a winner.

The Silver Spoon
Oh my! Thank you so very much! I have kept this to the top of the favorites of the online cookbooks. I'll start exploring this tomorrow while Mamma is still here, and I know she will like this also!

How very nice of you to do this for me, RPCooking. Thank you!

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-07-2014, 05:53 AM   #4
Master Chef

La Cucina Italiana | Italian recipes, cooking, ingredients and food guides

This is the US Website of one of the biggest italian cooking magazines..
Italian cooking is very very compley and hard to explain in a few words..

An italian menu mostly consists of Antipasti, primi piatti (Pasta, Risotto, Soup), secundi piatti ( fish, meat, game, egg dish, poultry) with contorni (side dish) and a dolci (dessert)..

any more questions? What do you want to know?
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to get La Cucina Italiana magazine and it is fun to read and packed with recipes for all skill levels. That's a great beginner source.

I would suggest starting with sauces. A basic marinara sauce, Alfredo sauce, piccata, butter and sage, etc.

I love this site for inspiration and reference: http://www.archimedes-lab.org/pastashape.html

Many of these shapes are not readily available, but maybe that will inspire you to make your own pasta one day
Old 01-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
Head Chef

Marcella Hazan's cookbooks are my go to books for Italian cooking.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
Senior Cook

If you need a taste-tester...I'd be happy to volunteer.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #8
Executive Chef

You are going to love it. Such a rich and healthy way to eat.....The recipes vary from one part of the country to the other. Very European in the North through to the Mediterranean and down to the South where there are Northern African influences.....a certain dish can be prepared many different ways, depending on the region it is being made in.....
Old 01-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Cat, start by watching Lydia on PBS. She is one of the most real Italian's on TV today. Some of her recipes can be more than you need to learn, but you will learn the mechanics of cooking Italian. She not only tells you the "how", but also the "why". And that is important in learning anything. Fortunately, since she has been in this country since her childhood, she has lost her accent, and is easier to understand. Occasionally she will have her mother on to test and eat her cooking. (Her biggest teacher.) Now the mother still has her accent. But you can even understand her.

Lidia's Italy In America | Create TV

Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I love watchng Lydia. There is another one, a little dark haired lady, I don't remember her name, but her show is good, too.

This is where I buy most of my cookbooks. They are not new, but are in very good condition. Never received a bad one.

Half.com: The Silver Spoon (2005, Hardcover, Revised)(9780714845319): : Books

Half.com: The Silver Spoon New Edition (2011, Hardcover)(9780714862569): : Books

Tags
cook, cooking, italian