Italian Hot Dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
YUM!

img_581209_0_0b4d8667681f2d686a1e69b842e978a5.jpg

Cut a potato into circles and pan fry until brown, season and set aside. In the same pan saute sliced bell pepper and onion until browned. Menawhile cook 2 hot dogs on the grill and toast the bun.

To plate, slice the hot dogs length-wise and place on the bun, followed by the onions and peppers and lastly the potato. I finish it off with salt, pepper, ketchup and a small dose of hot sauce. :chef:

OMG, does that look GOOD. I'm all about an embellished hot dog, although they just don't like me!

I've never thought of potatoes on a hot dog before.

I have fallen in love with Chicago styled hot dogs.

Hot dog, mustard, sweet relish, dill pickle spear, hot fingerling peppers, onions, tomatoes, celery salt. Outrageous flavor!

Chicago hot dogs, get em everywhere here and feel free to 'drag em thru the garden'! I love the poppyseed buns as well! That Italian does look yummy though, and it reminds me of a place down the road that puts the french fries in with the hot dog before dressing it up.
I like the idea of the ketchup and hot sauce to top it of Jeekins, but what about making your own 'special sauce' just for it? Something with a kick and an Italian twist maybe?

I dunno. Maybe it's a Jersey thing. Besides the hot sauce, that's a classic Italian Hot Dog around here.

Jeff, that's too much stuff on a bun! LOL

I dunno. Maybe it's a Jersey thing. Besides the hot sauce, that's a classic Italian Hot Dog around here.

Jeff, that's too much stuff on a bun! LOL

My bad, thought that was your own creation as I had never heard of one like that before!:LOL:

Looks darn good though, maybe some horseradish sauce for the kick!:cool:

Either way, I'll take two with a side of baked beans and potato salad...

there's a coupla variations on an italian dog.

jeekinz's is pretty much the basic one, but there's others like adding sweated or fried onions, or kraut, or that weird onion red sauce; but they all have fried potato slices/cubes/wedges and peppers along with the dog.

it ain't chicago, but there's a certain glory in just the right balance of a few ingredients.

with all due respect to windy city dogs, of course. they're tough to beat.

Heck with it, I shouldn't but after reading this thread again... I am going for a couple of chicago dogs... We have place in town that makes them....

Is there a brand of hot dog you favor? I tend to buy sabrett mostly tho I haven't bought hot dogs in a long time.

Looks quite good,... Id still want some ketchup with it...esp. with them taters.

As for dogs, I love Hebrew National and Nathans. Can't go wrong there.

Last edited:
Thanks jeekinz, we both grew up in NYC and we never heard of an Italian dog. Don't know why we ever encountered it when we went through the tunnel or over the bridge, Go figure.

Looks great. The potatoes are an entirely new twist to me. I am of the hot dog school that says more stuff on top is better, maybe why I so dearly love the Chicage variety. But we don't live near Chicage anymore and with the exception of a place on Colonial Drive in Orlando haven't seen them anywhere else. Maybe I could order some of the fixin's on line, like the dogs.

Love Sabrett's, Nathan's and Hebrew National. But they ain't what goes into Chicago dogs. Gotta check the web.

Thanks again for posting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom