"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin waffles and pumpkin pancakes. Pumpkin soup, Pumpkin custard, pumpkin juice drink, pumpkin juice made into shaved ice (Like drinking pumpkin pie), pumpkin Pana Cotta, roasted pumpkin with butter, salt, and pepper, roasted pumpkin with butter and brown sugar, fried pumpkin blossoms.
....Can you tell that I love pumpkins?
ahhhh, you bring back pleasant memories of Bubba's shrimp dishes in "Forrest Gump". Here's his quote but I'll substitute "pumpkin" for shrimp" just for fun:

Anyway, like I was sayin', pumpkin is the fruit of the Fall. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, pumpkin-kabobs, pumpkin creole, pumpkin gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple pumpkin, lemon pumpkin, coconut pumpkin, pepper pumpkin, pumpkin stew, pumpkin salad, pumpkin and potatoes, pumpkin burger, pumpkin sandwich. That- that's about it. ~Bubba

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
ahhhh, you bring back pleasant memories of Bubba's shrimp dishes in "Forrest Gump". Here's his quote but I'll substitute "pumpkin" for shrimp" just for fun:

Anyway, like I was sayin', pumpkin is the fruit of the Fall. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, pumpkin-kabobs, pumpkin creole, pumpkin gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple pumpkin, lemon pumpkin, coconut pumpkin, pepper pumpkin, pumpkin stew, pumpkin salad, pumpkin and potatoes, pumpkin burger, pumpkin sandwich. That- that's about it. ~Bubba

And you said it all without taking a breath! GOOD Job!

Old 09-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
And I use the big jack-o-lantern pumpkins for all of the above, and it works great. I don't purchase special pumpkins to make pie, as I haven't been able to discern enough of a difference in flavor or texture so as to make a difference. I think puchasing a special pumpkin may be an old-wive's-tale. At least, that's my opinion.

Can you tell that I love pumpkins?

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
The small pumpkins are sweeter. There is a big difference in taste. At least for my taste buds. And they are not as stringy as the big ones for carving. There is also a difference in color. The small ones have a brighter orange color. I do buy the little ones for making the bread loaves for the church fair. For the family I use canned pumpkin.

And yes, I can see you LOVE pumpkin. Lots of nutrition in pumpkins.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw his post!

Pumpkin rolls are big in this area. I personally like pie.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Bourbon Pumpkin Cheesecake with a gingersnap crust and a Pecan Praline topping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump praline cheese (15).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	15749  
Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
Recipe!!!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
That looks incredible!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage
Looks absolutely wonderful!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Just the name sounds decadent.

As I have stated before, I don't drink, never have. But that isn't saying I haven't had food that has alcohol in it. A lot of times I come across a recipe that calls for wine, bourbon, etc. The problem is that not every thing in the liquor store come in the little nip bottles. And that is just about what I would need for the recipe. I don't want to buy a full bottle. I may never use the rest of it. So I pass the recipe by.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
Just the name sounds decadent.

As I have stated before, I don't drink, never have. But that isn't saying I haven't had food that has alcohol in it. A lot of times I come across a recipe that calls for wine, bourbon, etc. The problem is that not every thing in the liquor store come in the little nip bottles. And that is just about what I would need for the recipe. I don't want to buy a full bottle. I may never use the rest of it. So I pass the recipe by.
You need to take a plane ride, Addie. Then, once aboard, for the small price of $7, you too can get a tiny bottle of booze.

Tags
pumpkin