It's pumpkin season . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookingandbeer

Assistant Cook
It is that time of year again when pumpkins are appearing everywhere. I am wondering what your favorite way to use pumpkins in the kitchen!?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love to take a small decorative size pumpkin and bake it whole in the oven until fork tender, open it up, remove the seeds, and slather with butter, salt & pepper.

I hate pumpkin, so I think this is the best use:

punkin_chunkin_2011.png

Welcome to DC! The DH loves to grow pumpkins. Personally, pumpkins are on my "take it or leave it" list. I prefer winter squash. I don't eat pumpkin pie, so am hard pressed to come up with things to do with pumpkins. I like pepitos, but haven't convinced the DH to buy pumpkin seeds for the variety that produces seeds without the husk. I find removing the husks to be a bit of a pain.

I did a search of the recipes in the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) Food and Drink magazine (the recipes are very good--have yet to try one I didn't like). There are 34 possible recipes to try that use pumpkin.

Recipe Search Results

Love pumpkin! I'll eat it just about anyway you can serve it, prefer savory.

Welcome to DC!

Pumpkin cookies
1 can of pure pumpkin (not the pie stuff) 15 oz can
and 1 spice flavored cake mix
mix the 2 together as there are- no other addtions
spoon onto baking sheet bake 8-10 min.I use pachment paper under them
very good and very moist.

I make mini carnberry pumpkin bread loafs for the church fair. And I make some cookies for my son and daughter. :angel:

I love pumpkin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I use it in sweet and savory recipes, here are a few of my favorites..

Roasted Butternut
Halve the Butternuts, scoop out the seeds, place in an oven dish, cover with melted garlic butter, add salt and pepper to taste and bake covered for 1 hour or until tender.

Curried Pumpkin Soup

Cubed pumpkin
1 chopped onion
2 tsps of curry paste
1 grated apple
chicken or veg stock
milk
salt and pepper to taste

Fry onion and apple till soft, add pumpkin and just cover with stock, cook till tender. Add 2 cups of milk and blend till smooth. Add more milk if needed. Salt and pepper to taste.

Add pureed pumpkin to pancake batter for a nice twist, mash butternut and sweet potato and use as a topping for cottage pie instead of potato, thinly sliced butternut make great crisps when fried etc.

Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin waffles and pumpkin pancakes. Pumpkin soup, Pumpkin custard, pumpkin juice drink, pumpkin juice made into shaved ice (Like drinking pumpkin pie), pumpkin Pana Cotta, roasted pumpkin with butter, salt, and pepper, roasted pumpkin with butter and brown sugar, fried pumpkin blossoms. I have also been playing with the idea of making a danish spiral, with pumpkin custard in the middle, like a cheese danish, but with pumpkin.

And I use the big jack-o-lantern pumpkins for all of the above, and it works great. I don't purchase special pumpkins to make pie, as I haven't been able to discern enough of a difference in flavor or texture so as to make a difference. I think puchasing a special pumpkin may be an old-wive's-tale. At least, that's my opinion.

Can you tell that I love pumpkins?:chef:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin waffles and pumpkin pancakes. Pumpkin soup, Pumpkin custard, pumpkin juice drink, pumpkin juice made into shaved ice (Like drinking pumpkin pie), pumpkin Pana Cotta, roasted pumpkin with butter, salt, and pepper, roasted pumpkin with butter and brown sugar, fried pumpkin blossoms.
....Can you tell that I love pumpkins?
:LOL:ahhhh, you bring back pleasant memories of Bubba's shrimp dishes in "Forrest Gump". Here's his quote but I'll substitute "pumpkin" for shrimp" just for fun:

Anyway, like I was sayin', pumpkin is the fruit of the Fall. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, pumpkin-kabobs, pumpkin creole, pumpkin gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple pumpkin, lemon pumpkin, coconut pumpkin, pepper pumpkin, pumpkin stew, pumpkin salad, pumpkin and potatoes, pumpkin burger, pumpkin sandwich. That- that's about it. ~Bubba

:chef:

Last edited:
:LOL:ahhhh, you bring back pleasant memories of Bubba's shrimp dishes in "Forrest Gump". Here's his quote but I'll substitute "pumpkin" for shrimp" just for fun:

Anyway, like I was sayin', pumpkin is the fruit of the Fall. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, pumpkin-kabobs, pumpkin creole, pumpkin gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple pumpkin, lemon pumpkin, coconut pumpkin, pepper pumpkin, pumpkin stew, pumpkin salad, pumpkin and potatoes, pumpkin burger, pumpkin sandwich. That- that's about it. ~Bubba

And you said it all without taking a breath! GOOD Job!:)

And I use the big jack-o-lantern pumpkins for all of the above, and it works great. I don't purchase special pumpkins to make pie, as I haven't been able to discern enough of a difference in flavor or texture so as to make a difference. I think puchasing a special pumpkin may be an old-wive's-tale. At least, that's my opinion.

Can you tell that I love pumpkins?:chef:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The small pumpkins are sweeter. There is a big difference in taste. At least for my taste buds. And they are not as stringy as the big ones for carving. There is also a difference in color. The small ones have a brighter orange color. I do buy the little ones for making the bread loaves for the church fair. For the family I use canned pumpkin.

And yes, I can see you LOVE pumpkin. Lots of nutrition in pumpkins. :angel:

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw his post! :)

Pumpkin rolls are big in this area. :) I personally like pie. :)

Bourbon Pumpkin Cheesecake with a gingersnap crust and a Pecan Praline topping.

Attachments

• pump praline cheese (15).jpg
    pump praline cheese (15).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 235
Just the name sounds decadent.

As I have stated before, I don't drink, never have. But that isn't saying I haven't had food that has alcohol in it. A lot of times I come across a recipe that calls for wine, bourbon, etc. The problem is that not every thing in the liquor store come in the little nip bottles. And that is just about what I would need for the recipe. I don't want to buy a full bottle. I may never use the rest of it. So I pass the recipe by. :angel:

Addie said:
Just the name sounds decadent.

As I have stated before, I don't drink, never have. But that isn't saying I haven't had food that has alcohol in it. A lot of times I come across a recipe that calls for wine, bourbon, etc. The problem is that not every thing in the liquor store come in the little nip bottles. And that is just about what I would need for the recipe. I don't want to buy a full bottle. I may never use the rest of it. So I pass the recipe by. :angel:

You need to take a plane ride, Addie. Then, once aboard, for the small price of $7, you too can get a tiny bottle of booze.

Back
Top Bottom