"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I don't usually worry to much about what kind of sugar I use. I just try not to use very much sugar. I have met lots of people who use brown sugar, or honey, or some other variant of sugar and think that because it isn't white sugar, they can eat as much of it as they want.

Sure, I have honey, brown sugar, and molasses, but they have different flavours and different uses. As far as I am concerned, they are all sugar. I would certainly buy coconut sugar for a recipe that calls for it, since it has a different flavour.

I have some organic sugar for vegetarian friends. Most white sugar is filtered through charred bones, so many vegetarians won't eat it. Some brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses added back. I am seriously considering switching all my white sugar to organic. If I can find organic Fair Trade sugar, the switch will come sooner.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #22
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: northern ohio
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Can you provide a reference to the research? I like to be able to evaluate it myself.
I'm not sure why you are asking this? You can look around and find out for yourself. I am not saying to gobble down sweetner of any kind is healthy. The info is out there that honey, maple syrup and coconut sugar have minerals and vitamin that plain white sugar does not. So I choose those instead of plain white sugar. And those three are still eaten sparingly.
So if you want to evaluate coconut sugar, go right ahead. I'm not pushing it on anybody. I was giving my opinion on this thread.
Just Google coconut sugar and all kinds of things pop up pro and con and what it is.
Hope that helps.
__________________

__________________
itsjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #23
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
GG----- try Google Scholar or PubMed.
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #24
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have some organic sugar for vegetarian friends. Most white sugar is filtered through charred bones, so many vegetarians won't eat it. Some brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses added back. I am seriously considering switching all my white sugar to organic. If I can find organic Fair Trade sugar, the switch will come sooner.
This is the brand I use, TL! Raw Cane Sugar
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjess View Post
I'm not sure why you are asking this? You can look around and find out for yourself. I am not saying to gobble down sweetner of any kind is healthy. The info is out there that honey, maple syrup and coconut sugar have minerals and vitamin that plain white sugar does not. So I choose those instead of plain white sugar. And those three are still eaten sparingly.
So if you want to evaluate coconut sugar, go right ahead. I'm not pushing it on anybody. I was giving my opinion on this thread.
Just Google coconut sugar and all kinds of things pop up pro and con and what it is.
Hope that helps.
I know I can look it up myself, and no one said you're pushing it on anyone. However, you brought it up and said your research convinced you that it was better. So I wondered why. So I asked. That's what we do here - Discuss Cooking It's rare that people make statements and no one asks any questions about them.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #26
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
This is the brand I use, TL! Raw Cane Sugar
If you buy sugar made from sugar beets they don't have to go through the charred bones step (but that's being abandoned to some degree.)

A sugar beet is white. I think it's sold under the brand name of Spreckels.
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
If you buy sugar made from sugar beets they don't have to go through the charred bones step (but that's being abandoned to some degree.)

A sugar beet is white. I think it's sold under the brand name of Spreckels.
LOL! I have an aversion to beet sugar...lived close to the fields and the plant where it is made in Colorado and the smell from there Unfortunately, I have a remarkable odor memory and I can smell the sugar plant now as we chat about it. Can we talk about something more pleasant smelling...like skunk???
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #28
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
" Can we talk about something more pleasant smelling...like skunk???"

Sure, how about a dorian fruit? (I've never smelled or tasted one but some people find it horribly unpleasant.)

"The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as rotten onions, turpentine, and raw sewage. The persistence of its odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in Southeast Asia."
Wiki
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #29
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
" Can we talk about something more pleasant smelling...like skunk???"

Sure, how about a dorian fruit? (I've never smelled or tasted one but some people find it horribly unpleasant.)

"The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as rotten onions, turpentine, and raw sewage. The persistence of its odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in Southeast Asia."
Wiki
I've never smelled one, either.

Anyway, I do get all my sugars from the Wholesome Sweeteners Brand, they make coconut, cane, agave, etc.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #30
Head Chef
 
Zagut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Friendship,MD.
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Can we talk about something more pleasant smelling...like skunk???

So you'd like to turn this into a discussion about beans or roadkill?
__________________

__________________
Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coconut, sugar

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.