I've discovered coconut sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't usually worry to much about what kind of sugar I use. I just try not to use very much sugar. I have met lots of people who use brown sugar, or honey, or some other variant of sugar and think that because it isn't white sugar, they can eat as much of it as they want.

Sure, I have honey, brown sugar, and molasses, but they have different flavours and different uses. As far as I am concerned, they are all sugar. I would certainly buy coconut sugar for a recipe that calls for it, since it has a different flavour.

I have some organic sugar for vegetarian friends. Most white sugar is filtered through charred bones, so many vegetarians won't eat it. Some brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses added back. I am seriously considering switching all my white sugar to organic. If I can find organic Fair Trade sugar, the switch will come sooner.

Last edited:
Can you provide a reference to the research? I like to be able to evaluate it myself.
I'm not sure why you are asking this? You can look around and find out for yourself. I am not saying to gobble down sweetner of any kind is healthy. The info is out there that honey, maple syrup and coconut sugar have minerals and vitamin that plain white sugar does not. So I choose those instead of plain white sugar. And those three are still eaten sparingly.
So if you want to evaluate coconut sugar, go right ahead. I'm not pushing it on anybody. I was giving my opinion on this thread.
Just Google coconut sugar and all kinds of things pop up pro and con and what it is.
Hope that helps.

I have some organic sugar for vegetarian friends. Most white sugar is filtered through charred bones, so many vegetarians won't eat it. Some brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses added back. I am seriously considering switching all my white sugar to organic. If I can find organic Fair Trade sugar, the switch will come sooner.

This is the brand I use, TL! Raw Cane Sugar

I'm not sure why you are asking this? You can look around and find out for yourself. I am not saying to gobble down sweetner of any kind is healthy. The info is out there that honey, maple syrup and coconut sugar have minerals and vitamin that plain white sugar does not. So I choose those instead of plain white sugar. And those three are still eaten sparingly.
So if you want to evaluate coconut sugar, go right ahead. I'm not pushing it on anybody. I was giving my opinion on this thread.
Just Google coconut sugar and all kinds of things pop up pro and con and what it is.
Hope that helps.

I know I can look it up myself, and no one said you're pushing it on anyone. However, you brought it up and said your research convinced you that it was better. So I wondered why. So I asked. That's what we do here - Discuss Cooking :) It's rare that people make statements and no one asks any questions about them.

If you buy sugar made from sugar beets they don't have to go through the charred bones step (but that's being abandoned to some degree.)

A sugar beet is white. I think it's sold under the brand name of Spreckels.

LOL! I have an aversion to beet sugar...lived close to the fields and the plant where it is made in Colorado and the smell from there:ohmy: Unfortunately, I have a remarkable odor memory and I can smell the sugar plant now as we chat about it. Can we talk about something more pleasant smelling...like skunk???:ROFLMAO:

" Can we talk about something more pleasant smelling...like skunk???"

Sure, how about a dorian fruit? :) (I've never smelled or tasted one but some people find it horribly unpleasant.)

"The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as rotten onions, turpentine, and raw sewage. The persistence of its odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in Southeast Asia."
Wiki

" Can we talk about something more pleasant smelling...like skunk???"

Sure, how about a dorian fruit? :) (I've never smelled or tasted one but some people find it horribly unpleasant.)

"The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as rotten onions, turpentine, and raw sewage. The persistence of its odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in Southeast Asia."
Wiki

I've never smelled one, either.

Anyway, I do get all my sugars from the Wholesome Sweeteners Brand, they make coconut, cane, agave, etc.

Thanks for the link PF. I'll look at the local health food stores. I don't want to deal with the hassle of online ordering from the US.

You only got the link because my brain went blank on the brand name, knew I would recognize it in a list.:wacko: I get mine at Costco, if you have something similar.

You only got the link because my brain went blank on the brand name, knew I would recognize it in a list.:wacko: I get mine at Costco, if you have something similar.
Thank you for reminding me about Costco. I don't usually look for sugar there. They do carry some organic stuff, like 2% milk. Last time I was at Costco I found organic bottled lemon juice.

So you'd like to turn this into a discussion about beans or roadkill? :LOL:

You mean recycled beans???

BTW---- I misspelled DURIAN. But I guess it still smells as bad. :rolleyes: But I like limburger cheese so...... maybe???

Durian smells horrible, but like stinky cheeses it tastes much better than it smells. My kids really enjoyed it. I was happy to have tried it once, and only once ;)

I bought one at an Asian market in Philly when Baby Bro lived there. We had to put it outside. It did taste better than it smelled, but I was the only one to try it.

Back
Top Bottom