I've discovered coconut sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabagoo

Cook
i have recently switched over to this from refined sugar. tastes almost as sweet and healthier for you

Hey gabagoo, I'd be interested in seeing your research on why coconut sugar is better for you. When I was reading up on it a while ago, the conclusion seemed to be that it was "slightly less bad" for you than refined sugar. If you have any links I'd love to see them.

Thanks gabagoo, I am looking for more scientific data. Dr Oz is a lovely man, but I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to food fads. If you find anything interesting let us know, I'll be watching for any new info.

Here's a good source of information: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fc...p_50_935_sweeteners_nutritivenonnutritive.pdf

To find reliable sources, I put a search term into Google like this:

site:*.edu "coconut sugar" vs other sweeteners

The first part limits the search results to higher education sites, which have research-based information. The quote marks around "coconut sugar" ensure that that particular string, and not just the words coconut and sugar, appear in the search results.

I have used coconut sugar a few times and honestly don't see much difference in sweetness, nutrition, or anything for that matter. It doesn't dissolve quite like regular sugar or natural cane sugar.

Dig into how white sugar is made and the chemicals used to make it uniformly colored and sized (sulfur dioxide, phosphoric acid + calcium hydroxide {which precipitate into calcium phosphate}). Then read up on the process for getting coconut palm sugar onto the grocery store shelves. That comparison alone should make you a convert. ;) Or at least make you rethink the unsulphured molasses.

Last edited:
I have a bag of coconut of sugar in my pantry. I bought it about 6 months ago, I have used once or twice. We don't use a lot of sugar in our home, but if I need it is there. I'd rather use coconut sugar or honey or maple syrup. Than regular sugar. It is IMO a good alternative.

I have a bag of coconut of sugar in my pantry. I bought it about 6 months ago, I have used once or twice. We don't use a lot of sugar in our home, but if I need it is there. I'd rather use coconut sugar or honey or maple syrup. Than regular sugar. It is IMO a good alternative.

Why do you think that?

Why do you think that?

From research I've done for myself and family. I try to eat as healthy as possible but I'm not perfect. And if a sweetner is needed or wanted, I want to something that has some nutrition in it. I know what works for myself and family and regular sugar does not. Like I said we don't use a lot sweeteners but when we do I feel why not choose something that has some vitamins and minerals.

Are palm sugar and coconut sugar the same? I have used palm sugar in Thai cooking and it has a distinct flavor that enhances dishes.

From research I've done for myself and family. I try to eat as healthy as possible but I'm not perfect. And if a sweetner is needed or wanted, I want to something that has some nutrition in it. I know what works for myself and family and regular sugar does not. Like I said we don't use a lot sweeteners but when we do I feel why not choose something that has some vitamins and minerals.

Can you provide a reference to the research? I like to be able to evaluate it myself.

Back
Top Bottom