Jamaican Jerk Buffalo Chicken Wings...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SatchBoogie3

Assistant Cook
I have been practicing Buffalo Chicken Recipes and I am having trouble with a Jamaican Jerk recipe. Jamaican Jerk is generally a "dry" rub used to marinade meats before grilling/roasting/etc. I am having trouble coming up with a good Jamaican Jerk sauce. Unlike most recipes, I need a sauce that will go on after the cooking (I fry the chicken wings (unfloured) and then put them in the warmed sauce before serving). I can't find a recipe that will allow me to make a smooth sauce. Can anyone help?

Welcome to DC, your 1 stop, foodie talk forum!

Well, here is what I have done in the past...

So you got yourself some good dry rub, bloom it in a little bit of simmering water, and I do mean a little, and then reduce. Thicken with a little bit of corn syrup, toss to coat. For an added bonus, throw wings on a grill to get a little nice and crusty, then toss in sauce.

As far as smooth, well, I dunno. I love the combo of the textures, but if simmered, the rub/herbs should soften up a bit.

BTW,if you do NOT wanna use corn syrup, substitute Mae Ploy Sweet Thai Chili Sauce. Nice lill flavor kick too.

Just my$.02

Thanks for the advice. I made the "rub" by pureeing the herbs and spices. I was thinking about maybe starting from a butter and brown sugar base. Do you think the texture would work right if I were to melt butter and combine with brown sugar then add the puree, then either ketchup or tomato juice. The real problem is trying to get the sauce smooth and not a thick "mush" for lack of a better word. Do you guys think using both butter and vegatable oil would be fine? When I was simmering the sauce, the oil was seperating a bit from the rub. I aslo found that the sauce had the right amount of spice, but wasn't sweet enough? Should I add honey or something else to get more sweet, since Jamaican Jerk is supposed to be a sweet and spicy flavour.

lol
being chimaican (a jamaican of chinese descent), we have our own spin on jerk

yes we chinese love sauces and condiments, we usually add a bit of soy sauce, peanut/olive oil and brown sugar to it
and use this as marinade to make a sauce we add alittle more soy and honey

i have tried the thai sweet chili sauce for chicken to it and found i liked it

Back
Top Bottom