"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #1
Master Chef

Jarred Olives - How Long In Fridge?

How long do you feel jarred olives safely last in the fridge once opened, & do you do anything special to ensure or extend that refrigerated shelf life?

When I open a jar of roasted red peppers, I always top the jar off with vinegar every time I remove some, & have found this extends the shelf life considerably. I've never tried this with olives, but was wondering if it was worth it.I really like different kinds of olives - everything from the regular pimiento-stuffed & California blacks, to the oil-cured & brine-cured European types. All too often though, I end up with multiple opened jars of olives in the fridge, & can never tell if they're still "good" or not. Of course, if the liquid shows any murkiness or milkiness or there's any other obvious signs of possible spoilage, out they go.I opened up a large jar of "salad olives" the other day, which are just small green pimiento-stuffed olives that were damaged in process, so are sold cheaper than the whole-stuffed ones. I find them economical to add to salads & recipes where I'd be chopping them anyway. Anyway, I noticed that about an inch of the olives are now completely uncovered by the jar liquid. Should I top this up with vinegar so that they're covered? Does it make a difference with olives?

So I guess the gist of all this is: how long do you feel olives last opened in the fridge, & do you add anything to the jar to prolong the shelf life?

Old 06-29-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
Master Chef

A scary amount of time. I have had green stuffed martini olives for years, probably. You are right that you need to keep the acidified.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
...When I open a jar of roasted red peppers, I always top the jar off with vinegar every time I remove some, & have found this extends the shelf life considerably...
I always buy the smallest jar of roasted red peppers because they spoil so quickly. I've never added vinegar to the jar, though. The peppers I buy aren't packed in vinegar. Vinegar would change the taste considerably.

I also find that olives last a long time.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
Master Chef

I agree that the vinegar does change the flavor of the peppers, but since I use them primarily in salads or just as a garnish to broiled fish or chicken, it's not that bad, & a quick rinse under cold water reduces the vinegar taste even further.

It does really, really increase the fridge shelf life though.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
I agree that the vinegar does change the flavor of the peppers, but since I use them primarily in salads or just as a garnish to broiled fish or chicken, it's not that bad, & a quick rinse under cold water reduces the vinegar taste even further.

It does really, really increase the fridge shelf life though.

I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Master Chef

Oh, & I don't drain the jar & replace it all with vinegar. All I do is every time I remove a pepper from the jar, I top the liquid up to cover the contents with vinegar (usually just plain white vinegar).
Old 06-29-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
Master Chef

If you don't use vinegar, you can use citric acid, which doesn't affecte the taste as much.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:23 PM   #8
Executive Chef

If you have olives that you want to use up, a good way is a sandwich. Spread softened cream cheese on a slice of bread and line olives (pitted of course) on edge. Roll starting with olive side. Place seam side down and cover with plastic wrap til needed. Slice into pinwheels. Easy and delicious.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:56 PM   #9
Master Chef

Licia - my mom used to make olive & cream cheese sandwiches for me to take to school as a kid & I LOVED them (even though none of the other woefully gastronomically uninformed kids ever offered to trade with me). No pinwheels though - just regular sandwich style.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:56 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I have kept olives for a long time.
When you do want to use them, soak one or two on a thoothpick, in a good quality gin or vodka. Then pour over ice and drink. I think you will find that the olives thusly marinated will taste just fine. ;)