Jello from scratch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robin12265

Assistant Cook
I don't eat sugar and I need a jello flavor that doesn't exist on my store shelves. I have plain Knox gelatine but I don't know how to make flavored jello from it.

I would be using splenda and a liquid flavoring (and coloring) in it.

All the box has is how to make fruit juice knox blox and that's not what I want. I don't want the jello knox blox firm (making a layered dessert) and I cannot use fruit juice due to the sugars in it.

TIA!
Robin

I have seen recipes that call for adding unsweetened kool-aid for flavor.
You also might try using sugar-free flavored syrups (like the ones used to flavor coffee), less the amount of water needed.
Food coloring is also fun if you like the extra color.
~mouse

If you are instructed to mix water with the powdered gelatin, replace some of the water with the liquid flavorings and colorings. The difference between the firmer Knox blox and regular gelatin desserts is the amount of liquid added.

thanks for the tips - I finally found a recipe for this - figured I'd share in case someone else is looking...

SUGAR FREE/NO CARB JELLO

1 packet unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1 cup boiling water
1 package unsweetened Kool-Aid, any flavor
1 1/2 teaspoons liquid Splenda, to equal 1 cup sugar
3/4 cup cold water

Put the 1/4 cup cold water in a 4-cup glass measuring cup or bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let stand about 3 minutes to soften. Meanwhile, bring 1 cup water to a boil and stir in the Kool-aid and Splenda. Pour over gelatin and stir until gelatin has dissolved completely. Stir in 3/4 cup cold water. Pour into 4 dishes and chill until set.

Makes 4 servings

Per Serving: 8 Calories; 0g Fat; 1g Protein; trace Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0g Net Carbs

(Carb count is higher if you use powdered Splenda)

Back
Top Bottom