"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Jelly donut filling question

Hello everyone, I'm new here and hoping that someone can answer a question I have about the jelly in jelly donuts.

I love making donuts at home, but I'd like to fill them with the same kind of jelly used in donuts that come from a bakery. I've looked at countless jelly donut recipes online, and every single one that I've found just says fill with your favorite jelly or jam, or something to that effect. The problem is, the filling in bakery donuts is much different than regular jelly or jam--it's smoother and thicker, and has a different taste. For me, it's the highlight of the donut, and I'd really like to know how they do it.

Do bakeries order the filling from some sort of specialty shop, or is there a way to "doctor up" regular jelly to make it similar to bakery donuts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
Everymom

They buy a big old tub of the jelly. Its pretty highly processed, I doubt you could duplicate it at home, but it might be fun trying! Why don't you start with some strawberry juice and thicken it on the stove with some cornstarch? See how that goes.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
They buy a big old tub of the jelly.
Oh, so that is their secret! I wonder if I can find a place selling it? Meanwhile, I'll work on making my own, per your suggestion. Thank you.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac

If you have a restaurant supply store in your area that does cash and carry (meaning it is open to the public), you can get it in plastic tubes or tubs. Also, you can look online for supply sites, but watch out for shipping costs. They make their money on the large orders (l order everything I need once a month) so the shipping is really high for one item.

I have a very good raspberry filling recipe I will dig up and post for you. I use it in my wedding cakes and I don't see why it wouldn't work in donuts. I have also changed up the fruit in it as well.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Senior Cook

The filling in store-bought jelly donuts seems to resemble the texture/sweetness of pie filling. So how about a can of pie filling?
Old 11-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

The thing about a pie filling is that it has solid fruit in it and you would have to either process it down (changing the texture) or sieve it out (losing lots of flavour and quantity.

Still looking for my recipe!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
The filling in store-bought jelly donuts seems to resemble the texture/sweetness of pie filling. So how about a can of pie filling?
I was thinking the same thing. If there isn't a restaurant supply store in the area, this seems like a good substitution.

Barbara
Old 11-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

There are some good suggestions/info here. Thank you. I'll have to look and see who I can find that might sell the stuff, although I hope to learn to make it from scratch.

LPBeier, I look forward to your recipe!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
The thing about a pie filling is that it has solid fruit in it and you would have to either process it down (changing the texture) or sieve it out (losing lots of flavour and quantity.

Still looking for my recipe!
Not for fillings such as lemon, chocolate or Bavarian Creme. They are good just as they are straight out of the can. But as for fruit, I warm up the fruit preserves jar in hot water (they have a more manageable texture when warm), run the preserves through the blender (pulsing a few times and perhaps adding a teaspoon of hot water), then pipe them into the donut. There's no mystery to it, it's just finding a flavor that you like.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Executive Chef

LPBeier... a raspberry filling?! Oooooo.... my favorite fruit flavor!

My perspective is for small batches of a dozen or less donuts... not hundreds like you most likely do. I'd be too tempted to eat those pastries that were less than perfect!