"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Juicing a lime

I cut my lime in half and no juice came out-I believe it is because my kitchen isn't warm. I read that you can microwave a lime BEFORE you cut it in half. I wasted one half, but don't want to waste the other half-too late to microwave? I keep my house cool so I may have a problem squeezing juice out of limes. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Executive Chef

The lime may be "dry" inside. I have run across some pretty juiceless limes. Even rolling and using a press yields little juice.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Wine Guy

I agree with what Craig says. Some limes just don't have much juice. When purchasing limes, what you want to look for is fruit that feels heavy for its size and has a little bit of "give" when you gently squeeze it. Another tip: limes that are bright green aren't ripe and won't have as much juice. Look for limes that are a bit more yellowish in color.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Head Chef

I seem to be finding more dry limes in the store than in years past. That's caused by lack of water for the tree and sometimes poor soil. So it may be drought-related.

I'm not at all reluctant to tell this to the produce staff and ask to cut one open before buying a bag of them.

And yes. If I leave them to ripen on the tree, they are completely yellow.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Head Chef

Any citrus can be dry. I've had oranges which you couldn't get a drop of juice from.

We're lucky down here as locally grown limes are readily available. It's one of the most common ingredients in Bahamian cooking. In a great many marinades which call for lemon, I substitute lime. It's a common ingredient in chicken dishes.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Executive Chef

The citrus that I have found to have the largest portion of "dry" fruit are Seville (sour) oranges here. I believe limes (Persian) grown in Florida are actually grafted onto a lemon as they won't grow otherwise and if not cared for properly, will revert back to lemon.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

It probably would be worth a shot to microwave the other half, though it may not help. Have bought plenty of dry limes here too. Recently I lucked out with a big bag of limes from Costco, all have been very nice and juicy. I've also found the smooth-skinned limes, in general, are juicier than the thicker skinned, rougher limes.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
It probably would be worth a shot to microwave the other half, though it may not help. Have bought plenty of dry limes here too. Recently I lucked out with a big bag of limes from Costco, all have been very nice and juicy. I've also found the smooth-skinned limes, in general, are juicier than the thicker skinned, rougher limes.
Huh, I always look for the rough, thick skinned limes because I think they look nicer. I'll have to see if I notice they are dryer next time. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2013, 03:56 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I've also found the smooth-skinned limes, in general, are juicier than the thicker skinned, rougher limes.
Ditto!
Old 02-24-2013, 04:21 AM   #10
Head Chef

Ditto on yer ditto

I look for the smooth skin, dark colored and softer ones.

I get more juice and the juice is sweeter.

Oh great, now I'm salivating like this guy!

Tags
lime