Juicy succulent chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dry brining (ala Zuni Cafe Chicken) actually takes longer than wet brining. A whole chicken, for example, needs to sit overnight in the dry brine but can be wet brined in 6 hours.

Personally, I love the results.

Here's the Zuni Cafe Chicken with Bread Salad recipe. It's fantastic.
Zuni Cafe comes to your kitchen - Today: Food: Recipe - MSNBC.com

I haven't found that beef benefits from brining (unless you are corning) but you do need to salt your steaks liberally before you cook them.

I actually love dry brining my steaks Jenny. It does nothing for the juiciness, but it does improve the flavor. For my steaks, I like to salt and wrap tight in plastic and keep in the fridge for 24ish hours. I will then let them come to room temp before cooking.

I do agree that dry brining takes much longer than wet.

I'll have to try that method for sure. Maybe this weekend when it warms up and I can grill. I wet brined mine and thought they were gross.

In Tom Colicchio's book "Think Like A Chef" he recounts a story about being a teenager and grilling a steak without salting it first and thinking it tasted blah and feeling that huge LIGHTBULB going on over his head. He immediately salted one, let it sit for a min. and grilled it. A world of difference.

It was his epiphany and a lesson about how important proper seasoning is to the enjoyment of food.

Try the Zuni Chicken sometime. Warning that wet brining a chicken or turkey can be a bit messy.

Back
Top Bottom