"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Cook

Jumping meal

Tomorrow is my wife's 26th birthday. I am taking her skydiving for the very first time. A small gathering of friends who will be awaiting our arrival at our house will have a surprise party for her when she walks in the door. I am looking for ideas for a special meal or dessert I can prepare ahead of time that can be chilled then served. I have ordered every tropical fruit I can think of. Pineapple, papaya, mango, kiwi, stars, coconut, etc. Also have cherries, peaches, plums and persimmon. I'm trying to do something besides the obvious which is a fruit salad.

Do any of you have an idea? I'm not opposed to something that can be warmed but cooked ahead of time then served.

Obviously this is a side item and not the first or second plate.

Thanks

Old 02-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior Cook

A fondue is nice. Pineapple wrapped in bacon for appetizer is always popular.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
Head Chef

Fruits, cheeses, great bread, antipasto platter, chilled seafoods, bruschetta with your pepper recipe, caprese salad, wine...

Happy Birthday to your wife!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Tandem?
You guys will have a blast. The food won't matter
Old 02-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
Head Chef

Creme brulee! Everyone loves it and you can make them up several days ahead of time. When the time comes to serve, just sprinkle with raw sugar and caramelize with a torch. It's a delicious and elegant dish yet not difficult to make, and the final step with the flame is very showy and memorable.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
Head Chef

If you have some friends who are willing to spend a few minutes cooking, you could put some fajitas in some marinade the night before.

You could make a Key lime Cheesecake for dessert!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvabigdog View Post
Tomorrow is my wife's 26th birthday. I have ordered every tropical fruit I can think of. Pineapple, papaya, mango, kiwi, stars, coconut, etc. Also have cherries, peaches, plums and persimmon. I'm trying to do something besides the obvious which is a fruit salad.
Tropical fruit trifle? That's layers of fruits, pastry cream (or pudding), and cake, repeated until the bowl is full. Traditionally some alcohol is involved. If you like playing with your food, you can garnish the top pastry cream layer with decorative cuts of the fruit, "Happy Birthday" spelled with fruit pieces, and some candles.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I like the fondue idea--it is casual and fun. You can have white chocolate, dark chocolate, and milk chocolate pots. You can also make a cream cheese-honey dip (my aunt does that for fruit trays--might be something else in there). You can skewer the fruits and grill them. Easy, gets your friends involved, and isn't really cooking <g>. You could do fried ice cream and top it with "fruit salad" and creme fraiche...
Old 02-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Cook

Just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions. The bacon wrapped pineapple was a hit and we settled with a fondue made with white chocolate and Gran Marnier and milk chocolate with Amaretto to dip the fruits.

Someone brought pepperoncini peppers stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in Milano Samami which was also a good hit as an appetizer.

The tandem instructor said she screamed for the first 5 seconds after exiting the plane but I went out after them so I couldn't see the look on her face. Got it filmed though with a lot of photos and she had a great time. I love skydiving but don't think she'll do it again. Once was enough for her. But at least now she can cross it off the list. She had a nice birthday.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Sounds great! My son did his first one at 16, was terrified, and remains afraid of heights. However, he is also Airborne Infantry, in command of a Basic Training unit at Ft. Benning, so you never know.