"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2004, 05:58 PM   #11
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover
aha....
I will do just that and find and call a Sons of Norway lodge and seek out their help in getting this gorgeously delightful sounding concoction.

Placentia, I think my friend is close to there. As a matter of fact, she got married there 9-13-01. Not a very good day. She should have canceled, no one was in the mood to celebrate. It's not close to me, 100 miles or so. Would rather pay the shipping and just get a couple of jars sent to me.

Thanks for the help!
Let me know if you have trouble and I can try to get a phone number for you. But the lodge will have someone call you back. I do not remember if I told you, but the one they import is made by Rogeland. They also have Lingonberry and other berries from Nroway.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #12
Executive Chef

hi Norgeskog.....waaaay after the fact but...

I bought it finally once in Stockholm and once at Ikea in Vancouver BC also last time in Oslo Norway the land of my family's origin.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #13
Executive Chef

off topic Norsekog, love Eugene Or
Old 07-23-2017, 05:07 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Very interesting. I can't help wondering whether our potato scones could be cousins of your Lefse? I have a recipe in my book 'British Cookery' published in 1976 by the British Tourist Authority and British Farm Produce Council, in which there is a recipe for Potato Scones, as follows:

1/2lb cooked cold boiled potatoes
1/2 melted butter
1/2 tsp salt
20z white flour or fine oatmeal
1/2 baking powder

Mash the cooked potatoes and add the melted butter and salt. Work into the mix as much sifted flour and baking powder or oatmeal as will make a pliable.

Roll out the dough thinly and prick with a fork. Cut into circles round a plate, then cut into quarters and cook on a hot griddle for 3 minutes on each side. Serve hot or cold, with butter. Sometimes they're served with bacon. In any event, whether it's lefse or potato scones, they make a very economical dish, frequently featuring as a popular and satisfying dish.

di reston

Enough iss never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde