"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-03-2004, 05:17 PM   #1
Certified Executive Chef

Just for LEFSElover

LEFSElover, in case you want to make lefse for the bunch of us:

Lefse Grill $89.95

Lefse Stick with sheath $9.95

Grooved Lefse pin $22.95

We shall be waiting, LEFSElover. I like mine with butter only, but sometimes with gjetøst or cloudberry jam. They offer a cover for the rolling pin and a rolling cloth, if you need those too.

Old 11-04-2004, 09:58 AM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
K I just have to ask....what the heck is Lefse????

Old 11-04-2004, 11:34 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Norgeskog.......you are so funny.
I have the rolling pins, I collect rolling pins so I have many many many. Hubby and I visited Solvang and I bought mine there, along with an aebleskiver cast iron pan too, and I have made aebleskiver, they are simply wonderful. My gramma had the 'sticks' for turning hers and she used her Wedgewood stove's grill in the middle to cook them up.
Hey, we like our lefse the same way . Only good old real butter rolled up and warm. Gosh darn it, if I didn't have to leave on a trip right now, I'd make a batch and send you some. But alas, I am off for many days and it doesn't travel well. I have 3 Farberware electric skillets (rolling pins aren't the only thing I collect ) that I cook mine in, dry, no fat, and you must dust off the excess flour often. Can you send me a batch of cloudberry jam? :? I think it's time I try that stuff! :D

tancowgirl........
lefse is Norwegian bread of sorts. it's made out of potatoes and cream and butter and flour and salt, flattened out with a rolling pin that has lines in it (to hold the butter) and quickly cooked on a hot griddle pan till slightly browned. my husband has always said it's the best tortilla he's ever had. I, then, kick him...<< crazy man................it's not a tortilla! but then, he knows that, he's just trying to get my goat...
Old 11-04-2004, 11:35 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
lefse that sounds good !
Old 11-04-2004, 11:39 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

my mom worked in a norsk bakery in brooklyn when she met my dad, a firefighter. about 15 seconds after they were married, my mom was pregnant, so she qut her job. her co-workers gave her a set of special rolling pins, including one for lefse, signed by all the staff, as a "retirement" present. she still proudly displays them, now 50 years later...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:42 AM   #6
Executive Chef

oh buckytom, I love that story.......
gifts from special times are so important to keep.......
it's a memory after all.......
Old 11-04-2004, 04:53 PM   #7
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tancowgirl2000
K I just have to ask....what the heck is Lefse????
Tancowgirl, lefse is a Norwegian flat bread made from mashed potatoes with enough flour added so that it can be rolled into thin circles and grilled on a dry pan. They look like a flour tortilla but, because of the potatoes have a completely different and wonderful taste. They are buttered and topped with cinnamon sugar, rolled around cheese or meat. THanks for asking.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:40 PM   #8
Certified Executive Chef

[quote="LEFSElover"][color=olive][b]Norgeskog.......you are so funny.
I have the rolling pins, I collect rolling pins so I have many many many. Hubby and I visited Solvang and I bought mine there, along with an aebleskiver cast iron pan too, and I have made aebleskiver, they are simply wonderful. My gramma had the 'sticks' for turning hers and she used her Wedgewood stove's grill in the middle to cook them up.
Hey, we like our lefse the same way . Only good old real butter rolled up and warm. Gosh darn it, if I didn't have to leave on a trip right now, I'd make a batch and send you some. But alas, I am off for many days and it doesn't travel well. I have 3 Farberware electric skillets (rolling pins aren't the only thing I collect ) that I cook mine in, dry, no fat, and you must dust off the excess flour often. Can you send me a batch of cloudberry jam? :? I think it's time I try that stuff! :D
quote]

THanks LEFSElover. I also have been to Solvang and enjoyed it a lot. We are a similar town near Eugene called Junction City and it is full of Scandinavians and they are a wonderful festival each August. But Solvang is better. I do not have an æbleskiver pan, I have the Norwegian version of it called monk. It is nearly the same, but the monk pan is more shallow, but the batter is the same. Yes lefse hot off the grill with butter is the best way to eat it. I have a cast iron grill which was a gift from my aunt which I only use for lefse and I have two sticks, large for removing from rolling pad, small for turning. UGH NO OIL you are right. As far as the cloudberry jam goes, how far are you from Placentia? There is a Sons of Norway lodge there and the women have it in their gift shop, which is where I usually get it. Up here I do not know where to find it, but I will be in Southern California in for Syttende Mai so will get more then. I am hoarding the last jar I have, it is good! I have the berries fresh picked when I am in Norway.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:06 PM   #9
Certified Executive Chef

LEFSElover, found picture of cloudberries. The brand of cloudberry jam I have has the label Rogaland and is from Norway. Call a Sons of Norway lodge near you and they probably can tell you where to find them. Most of the lodges sell it as a fundraiser. Each jar is about $5-6 but is worth every penny.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:26 PM   #10
Executive Chef

aha....
I will do just that and find and call a Sons of Norway lodge and seek out their help in getting this gorgeously delightful sounding concoction.

Placentia, I think my friend is close to there. As a matter of fact, she got married there 9-13-01. Not a very good day. She should have canceled, no one was in the mood to celebrate. It's not close to me, 100 miles or so. Would rather pay the shipping and just get a couple of jars sent to me.

Thanks for the help!