"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-26-2007, 07:00 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Just moved back home

I'll be seeing all of my family for the first time in a long time, since we've moved home. It will be a 4th of July celebration and I really would like a great recipe to wow them. Something summery, that won't wilt in this horrible Indiana humidity. Any ideas are greatly appreciated, though, as it might get my dormant creative juices flowing.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Welcome home Velochic, your family must be so happy.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Thanks Barb! We're excited to be home.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Welcome Home!
Old 06-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Thanks! It's bittersweet to be back.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hi velochic and welcome home!!! I just posted a pic of some grilled vegetables here that are marinated in olive oil, lime juice, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper, (I'll have to look at the recipe to see if there is anything else in there). They just need to marinate all day until ready to grill. They hold up quite nicely and is my idea of a veggie platter This makes a great side to whatever else you might be grilling.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
Master Chef

Welcome back to the Midwest. Nothing like a good Midwest 4th. What kind of recipes are you looking for? What are your family's tastes? I've found since I moved to small-town IL that a lot of people don't like spicy, love sweet, don't like a lot of innovation in their cuisines. So maybe sticking to old family favorites would be best.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Thanks KitchenElf! I'll check out the thread you linked to.

Claire - just about any side dish would be good. My sister is bringing mustard potato salad (too bad because I have a kick-butt german potato salad recipe!!). I was thinking about a cole slaw or other side dish that would work well with BBQ... burgers, brats, beans, etc. Something refreshing would be great. Not too... umm.... German or European . They want very, very American stuff... too bad for them!!
Old 06-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

MY MOM'S MACARONI SALAD (ate this all the time growing up – and still eat it all the time at every cookout we have)

8 oz. box elbow macaroni (cooked, drained, and cooled. This is one time I rinse the macaroni well or you have to double the dressing and entire salad is too dry.)

-sliced radishes, 4 or 5 large
-cucumber, cut long ways, seeds removed, and sliced
-1 yellow pepper, chopped
-1 tomato, chopped (you can use any type of tomato i.e., Roma, grape, etc. If using grape still cut in half so tomato juice flavors salad)
-1 med-large carrot ribbons or just sliced carrots
-2 hard boiled eggs, grated (a must for this salad)

(I do usually end up adding more cucumbers and tomatoes - at least one of each)

DRESSING

1 cup Miracle Whip
1 cup mayonnaise
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
1 TBS sugar
s & p to taste (heavy on the pepper)

Mix all dressing ingredients first. Add veggies to macaroni and then mix most of dressing with everything. Refrigerate for about 1 hour to let flavors blend. Not totally necessary but it does help. Right before serving mix rest of dressing in with everything else if needed. Serves 8-10

Warning – if you try to change this recipe by not using 1/2 mayo and 1/2 miracle whip my mother will haunt you for the rest of your life!!!!!

(German potato salad is my absolute favorite - I would still have to make it )

There are lots of recipes out there for slaw with a vinegar dressing versus a mayo dressing. I have one that uses the same sauce I use for my pork bbq sandwiches.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

What about a cucumber/onion or just cucumber salad? I use my mandolin to slice my cukes VERY thin and then just mix sour cream, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, heavy on the pepper, let sit in fridge for about an hour. That's another summer staple.

Or just some good tomato wedges, cucumbers, dressed in a tad of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, feta cheese, red onion? I have substituted caramelized shallots for the red onion before.