Just Sayin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Y'all are missin' the best way to eat cauliflower.....pickled in hot pepper vinegar. Now, them is good eats!

I must confess.

When I was a child, mom and dad used to make pickles in gallon glass jars dad brought home from work. The pickles were a mix of garden vegetables, including green tomatoes, carrots, green peppers, and cauliflower. The day we opened the first jar of pickles to see if they were done was almost as exciting as Christmas morning. Among all the choices, the cauliflower was the favorite. The flavors of the pickling spices and vinegar had replaced any actual cauliflower flavor leaving a great vinegary crunch in every bite.

Hoot is 100% right. Pickled is the only way to eat an otherwise hated vegetable.

I must confess.

When I was a child, mom and dad used to make pickles in gallon glass jars dad brought home from work. The pickles were a mix of garden vegetables, including green tomatoes, carrots, green peppers, and cauliflower. The day we opened the first jar of pickles to see if they were done was almost as exciting as Christmas morning. Among all the choices, the cauliflower was the favorite. The flavors of the pickling spices and vinegar had replaced any actual cauliflower flavor leaving a great vinegary crunch in every bite.

Hoot is 100% right. Pickled is the only way to eat an otherwise hated vegetable.
I substituted cauliflower for beans in a pickled bean recipe once and it worked out great. I should do that again. Thanks for reminding me about that one...

I added cauliflower to GG's pickled beans recipe and the cauliflower was my favorite.

I know a lot of folks who buy those pickled veggies and the cauliflower is always the favorite. They can have mine. :angel:

I know a lot of folks who buy those pickled veggies and the cauliflower is always the favorite. They can have mine. :angel:
Have you tried it in piccallilly? Cauliflower, green beans, onions, garlic, fresh gherkins, red bell peppers in a thick mustard, sugar and vinegar pickling sauce and delicious with cheese, cold meats or even just bread and butter in a sandwich. Don't know if you have it over there. (Incidentally the store bought variety doesn't hold a candle to home-made)

I think that a lot of people overcook cauli and it's horrid then - soft and tasteless - but it's lovely cooked "al dente". I like it in curries as well. And it needs to be fresh (which it often isn't when bought from supermarkets).

Last edited:
I think the only way I don't care for cauliflower is when people try to mach them, and substitute them for smashed spuds. Other than that, I like them steamed, with butter, in soups, raw in salads, pickled, in stir fries, anyway you want to serve them, I'll eat them. I'll even eat the mashed ones, but won't make them because they're too watery, and have lost that great cauliflower flavor. And I especially enjoy the stems, same with broccoli. And just so's ya knows, even though it's a bit off topic, when purchasing artichokes, see if you can find them with stems attached. When boiled whole, the entire stem tastes just like the heart, yum. I've found in a good many veggies, the stems are the most delectable part, unless its woody, or poisonous.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom