"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I know a lot of folks who buy those pickled veggies and the cauliflower is always the favorite. They can have mine.
Have you tried it in piccallilly? Cauliflower, green beans, onions, garlic, fresh gherkins, red bell peppers in a thick mustard, sugar and vinegar pickling sauce and delicious with cheese, cold meats or even just bread and butter in a sandwich. Don't know if you have it over there. (Incidentally the store bought variety doesn't hold a candle to home-made)

I think that a lot of people overcook cauli and it's horrid then - soft and tasteless - but it's lovely cooked "al dente". I like it in curries as well. And it needs to be fresh (which it often isn't when bought from supermarkets).

Old 09-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #52
Master Chef

I think the only way I don't care for cauliflower is when people try to mach them, and substitute them for smashed spuds. Other than that, I like them steamed, with butter, in soups, raw in salads, pickled, in stir fries, anyway you want to serve them, I'll eat them. I'll even eat the mashed ones, but won't make them because they're too watery, and have lost that great cauliflower flavor. And I especially enjoy the stems, same with broccoli. And just so's ya knows, even though it's a bit off topic, when purchasing artichokes, see if you can find them with stems attached. When boiled whole, the entire stem tastes just like the heart, yum. I've found in a good many veggies, the stems are the most delectable part, unless its woody, or poisonous.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote