Just Wondering - Hemp Seed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
goodgiver said:
Has anyone ever heard of Hemp Seed and has anyone ever used them.

Actually, I always objected to them, and stems, being included in the baggie. :w00t2: :dizzy: :cool: :ROFLMAO: :shock: :flowers: :bounce:

Hubby used to buy hemp seed in the shops in England when he would go fishing. Apparently fish love it.

mudbug said:
:rolleyes: Caine, you took the words right out of my mouth. However, I believe those were cannabis seeds. A leedle different.

Cannibis and hemp are one in the same, Mudbug.

Last edited:
lets keep this thread about hemp seeds and NOT about marajuana please. Keep in mind there are kids reading this stuff.

i've seen a few granola heads (clueless neo-hippies :flowers: without a cause) hawking hemp products at some street fairs.

they had soaps, clothing, breads and energy bars, all made with hemp. the energy bars weren't half bad. i remember reading their literarure, and did a little ressearch online about it. hemp has a very interesting history around the world.
here's a quick history: http://www.hemphousemaui.com/history.html

many parrots, including mine, love hemp seed. it is often included as a main ingredient in parakeet seed mixes.

(lol, gb, i bet you winced when you saw that i responded to this thread...:) )

hmmm, i could go for some pizza, m&m's, doritos, and a hot fudge sunday...hee hee hee heee :stuart:

The thing to keep in mind about hemp seeds is much akin to poppy seeds...even as they are, they still have traces of THC in them, which means if you eat enough of them, you could give off a false positive on a drug test. Something to consider if you're someone who's in an industry that has random testing.

very true, that is something i always heard about poppy seeds and didn't know if to believe it or not, but mythbusters tested it and sure enough, they will make you fail a test.

I think that I would disagree with that.
THC is a resin that is produced on the plant. It is one of several different canaboids that the plants produce.
The difference is that marijuana is grown and bred for the medicinal affects and the high production of the active canaboids that are often refered to as THC.
Hemp on the otherhand is produced for it's byproducts that aren't useful as a medicinal product. The canaboids that it would produce is so negligible that it wouldn't be worth growing for medicinal properties.

As for it being the same plant, I would say same family. A hemp plant could pollenate a Medicinal plant and the resulting seeds would be of undesirable use for a medical marijuana user.

That being said. If it where legal to grow hemp, there would be less deforstation, as it is an excellent source for fibers. It makes excellent paper and clothe. The oil from it is an excellent lubricant. An acre of hemp can produce something like the same amount as 20 acres of clear cut forrest. It also is a plant the processes huge amounts of CO2 into O2.
There is a taboo about hemp because everyone thinks hemp and medical marijuana are the same things.

Hemp and Marijuana are just different varieties of the same plant genus (Cannabis sativa). THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) is present in all hemp varities to some extent - about 0.3% in rope hemp and 6-8% in plants grown for its psychoactive potential (cultivation and selective breeding techniques can produce up to 15% or more).

Hemp seed and hemp seed oil (the food products) can contain 0.025% - 0.3% THC levels, depending on growing conditions and processing. Since these fall below the FDA labeling requirements (only 0.500% or greater of anything must be listed) the THC content may not be listed.

Like with the poppy seeds on your rolls or bagels (which register as morphine, codeine, opium, heroine) the hemp seeds can show up on a drug test as marijuana use (after all THC is THC). If you pass or fail depends on the "standards" they are using ... how many ppm/ppb they find acceptable.

Hemp seed has some good nutritional values. It's unfortunate that legislation keeps further research and growth into it's potental as a food product on the "no-no" list.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom