Kasha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I always wanted to try kasha (buckwheat groats). So, I bought some the other day at the bulk store. I prepared it according to the directions for breakfast--seasoned it with salt, butter, and pepper. I didn't like the "note" it left in my mouth. So, I have about 2 c of cooked kasha left (the dogs like it--I don't). What else could I do with it? I like barley, rice, quinoa, bulgar, grits--just didn't cotton to kasha as a "breakfast" food.

I never had it as breakfast food. I serve it as a side dish with sauteed onions and garlic or I make Kasha Varnishkes, which has bowtie pasta tossed in with the kasha.
I toast the kasha first in a dry pan, then simmer it in chicken broth. When it's done, I stir in the sauteed onions and garlic, salt and pepper. Delicious!

I never had it as breakfast food. I serve it as a side dish with sauteed onions and garlic or I make Kasha Varnishkes, which has bowtie pasta tossed in with the kasha.
I toast the kasha first in a dry pan, then simmer it in chicken broth. When it's done, I stir in the sauteed onions and garlic, salt and pepper. Delicious!

Ditto! Its one of my favorite side dishes.

I thought it was already toasted/roasted? I guess if you smothered in pig's blood it might be better:LOL:. I ended up putting the leftover cherry sauce from the night before on top...(which had onion, garlic, lime, and white wine in it <g>).

I wouldn't waste perfectly good pig's blood on Kasha.

I just can't find any way I like it.

:LOL::ROFLMAO: I couldn't have said it better myself, 4me.

I have a fairly short list of foods I don't like and Kasha would be way up there. My now husband prepared it as part of a meal when we were dating, and he asked me how I liked it. Being in a polite dating mode, I said "it tastes very healthy". :sick:
I just read him this thread, and now he knows the truth.....not fit for pigs blood. :yuk:

:LOL: Thanks for the laffs.....

Pepper for breakfast? That sounds really weird. Where did you get the recipe? For breakfast you want to make it like hot cerial, with milk and maybe sugar.

Was groats brown or greenish when you bought them? I hate the green kind, unless you fry them before cooking. And even then they still have a taste of something that was row/green.
Was it a whole groats or cracked? Fry some onion in oil add to kasha mixh and heat up in frying pan. Also add some cooked small noodles, like bowties, or I prefer small shells, about 3 parts kasha 2 parts noodles.

That's one way of describing it. My DH said it tasted like bird seed (I didn't ask him when he last ate bird seed).

That coud mean only one thing kasha was unddercooked. That would be a perfect wasy to describe it. You reall have to make kasha right otherwise it is garbage. I am yet to meat a person who has not liked my kasha. Even my wife likes it.

Pepper for breakfast? That sounds really weird. Where did you get the recipe? For breakfast you want to make it like hot cerial, with milk and maybe sugar.

Was groats brown or greenish when you bought them? I hate the green kind, unless you fry them before cooking. And even then they still have a taste of something that was row/green.
Was it a whole groats or cracked? Fry some onion in oil add to kasha mixh and heat up in frying pan. Also add some cooked small noodles, like bowties, or I prefer small shells, about 3 parts kasha 2 parts noodles.

The kasha was brown and cracked. And, the recipe came with the Kasha (minus the ground black pepper--but my DH skipped the butter, salt, and pepper and treated it like oatmeal--I don't think I can get Kasha on the menu again). I found it had a weird aftertaste. I should've gone with the grits for breakfast--which I love with salt, pepper, and butter.

Last edited:
Thats the stuff that tastes like cardboard right?

Oh, maybe I'm thinking of Kashi... :LOL:

EDIT: I think the aftertaste is the envelope glue they can't quite get out of the furnish they form the Kashi from...

Last edited:
Thats the stuff that tastes like cardboard right?

Oh, maybe I'm thinking of Kashi... :LOL:

EDIT: I think the aftertaste is the envelope glue they can't quite get out of the furnish they form the Kashi from...

Oh--that's the weird aftertaste...I couldn't place it, I gave up eating paste in grade school.

I gave the Kasha another try--prepared it the way CharlieD described. I fought the urge to smother it with ketchup...it is most likely an acquired taste, much like lutefisk.

Lutefisk

Last edited:
:LOL: in the UK Black Pudding (pigs blood sausage) is a major component of the traditional artery clogging breakfast fry up, I like to use the polish black pudding sausage with Kasha in it(Kashanka) as its the healthy option:ohmy::angel::LOL:

Last edited:
Blood sausage is big in Ukraine; they make it really good too.

But as far as kasha goes, I suppose it is an acquired taste. For a life of me I cannot touch oatmeal or, cream of wheat. Or any other grain like hot cereal. I think they are repulsive.

I wish you could try my kasha. And yes it does have a specific taste, kasha taste so to speak. I suppose it is like if somebody likes mashed potato, and instead is offered mashed carrots or sweet potato for example.

Back
Top Bottom