Keeping guacamole in fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LKJR

Assistant Cook
Guacamole never seems to keep in the fridge. We've tried to leave the seeds in the container, lime / lemon juice, etc.

homemade or bought is there a way to keep it fresh for at least a couple days?

Guacamole never lasts long. The best thing you can do is keep as much air away from it as you can. Put it in a container and place a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the guacamole. Keeping the pit in the guacamole does work, sort of, but only where the pit is touching the guac since no air is getting to it.

Yes, what GB said - I place my guacamole in a fairly shallow bowl and place the plastic wrap directly on top of it pressing down to make sure the entire surface is protected by the plastic wrap.

It also helps to add maybe a tad more lime juice - that will help also. I've never left the pits in - didn't seem to work. You are not going to get but about 2 days out of though - it will start separating and getting watery.

Is home-made different than commercial? We portion our commercial brand into serving portions and freeze them. Microwave for only about 30 seconds...and they are great. You might try a little..doesn't sound like you would lose anything but a little more quacamole! lol

Thanks guys, and btw

Homemade = Goooood Stuff, and none of the preservatives and whatever else ends up in there from the mass production

leftover guacamole? huh? lol. yup the best ways are already listed. Pesto freezes ok for a short while. Does guacamole? anyone know?

what about those vaccum sealing canisters? anyone tried saving this stuff in those? should be able to get one off ebay cheap enough.

Yes I have used those for gauc and they work very well, but no better than putting the plastic wrap directly on it. Vacuum sealers are great to have in the kitchen though!

buying a vacuum sealer on ebay? I've never thought of that. DH is on ebay all the time. Maybe he will find me one.

Gaucamole usually doesn't last long enough in our house to require saving. But when it does, the plastic wrap directly touching the surface is the best was to preserve it, as was stated by everyone else. I'm afraid that when you make it, you'd better be willing to eat it very soon. And remember, guacamole isn't just for dipping. You can put a spoonful on top of your chili, in your burrito, on top of Spanish Rice, in your taco, on your burgers, on your taco salads, etc. It's also great on tamales, and enchiladas. Why I've even been known to eat some off of my index finger, very tasty.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Andy M. said:
Also, just because it's a little discolored doesn't mean it's spoiled. It's just ugly.
And you can't see what it looks like when it is in your mouth :chef:

If you ask me guacamole is ugly to begin with, so what's a little bit more. :LOL:
I use Ziploc bags for leftovers, squeeze all the air out and seal it. Works well. A drop or two of extra lime juice as it was already pointed out sure helps.

Back
Top Bottom