Keeping mushrooms fresh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
I buy fresh white mushrooms quite often. It seems that within a couple of days, they start getting darker and somewhat moist. How can I keep them fresh?

Try transferring them to a brown paper bag. I use the small brown paper lunch bags.They don't like plastic.

Last edited:
They won't keep fresh for all that long, though a little bit of browning won't really affect the flavour, just the visual aspect if you're serving them raw. When I get mine home, I make sure they are 100% dry and then lay them in a large plastic zip-lock bag with paper towels (below and on top of them). Kept this way I've fond they look pretty decent for 3-4 days :)

When I get home from the store, I take them out of their package and put them in a paper bag...that way they can breath. Depending on how fresh they are when I get them, they'll last 4-5 days that way.

Thanks everyone. I guess my mistake was that I left them in the container they came in with the plastic on top. No wonder they got moist and discolored! Maybe I should buy them in bulk rather than in the container since they need to breathe.

You know, if you're cooking with them (as opposed to putting them raw in a salad), the older mushrooms sometimes actually have more flavor. Anyway, if all else fails, sautee them in butter or olive oil with some garlic, refrigerate, and you can eke out a few more days. From that point you can add a splash of wine and have a great sauce ready-to-go.

Thanks Claire, thats a good tip. I tried the paper bag method and they have kept fresh so far for about 6 days without moisture or discoloring. When they start to go off, I will definately do as you suggest. Thanks.

amber:

I use a paper lunch bag to store mushrooms also. Sometines I buy the bulk mushrooms and sometimes the prepackaged ones. It depends on which are fresher.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom