"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 12-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Sous Chef
Keeping rice stuffing warm without drying?

I am making rice stuffing for a big group dinner tomorrow night and I would like to keep it warm in a crock pot, but I'm worried that it will dry out. It will likely be in there for 4-5 hours. Should I add extra moisture? I'm worried that once it starts to dry out I'll be up a creek and it won't rehydrate properly, so I'd like to prevent it.

This is the recipe I'll be using:
Chicken Sausage Brown Rice Stuffing with Celery and Mushrooms | Skinnytaste

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
You could make it ahead of time, refrigerate it them reheat it when needed. A microwave is the right tool for the job.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
Sous Chef
If you have a glass casserole with lid, this is perfect for making rice. As Andy has said - make ahead and use the microwave to reheat. The glass lid holds the condensed moisture and adds it back.

I actually even cook my rice in the micro when I'm doing large amounts.

and that recipe sounds delish!
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
Master Chef
However you choose to do it, just make sure you hold the rice at proper temp as it is the source of a particularly nasty kind of food poisoning.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
To add to what jennyema said, proper temperature is 140F. I would suggest putting some warm water in your slow cooker and checking the temperature after a hour or so to see if it will hold at that temp.

I did a little searching and on a couple sites for chefs, they suggested holding rice dishes covered in a warm oven and replenishing the serving dish occasionally, or keeping cooled cooked rice in the fridge and reheating in the microwave as needed.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Senior Cook
That rice dish sounds great. I might have to try that.
Macgyver1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
However you choose to do it, just make sure you hold the rice at proper temp as it is the source of a particularly nasty kind of food poisoning.
I wouldn't keep it warm for that very reason. Make it, cool it quickly, then reheat thoroughly when required.

Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

rice, stuffing