"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I also grew up on raw milk. Mmmmm good stuff - the cream rises to the top that you can make butter with.

Raw milk is "LIVE" and has many live probiotics - heat pateurizing kills all the live goodness.

California - sells raw milk in stores but it is costly. Farms sometimes have milk for purchase "for pets".

I am 40+ never had a problem drinking raw milk (entire family drank raw milk)

Old 03-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Arrow

Kefir grains are a combination of bacteria and yeasts in a matrix of proteins, lipids, and sugars. This symbiotic matrix forms "grains" that resemble cauliflower. Many different bacteria and yeasts are found in the kefir grains, which are a complex and highly variable community of lactic acid bacteria and yeasts. Kefir grains contain a water soluble polysaccharide known as kefiran Kefir grains are a combination of bacteria and yeasts in a matrix of proteins, lipids, and sugars. This symbiotic matrix forms "grains" that resemble cauliflower.
Many different bacteria and yeasts are found in the kefir grains, which are a complex and highly variable community of lactic acid bacteria and yeasts. Kefir grains contain a water soluble polysaccharide known as kefiran. (source: wikipedia)

Old 03-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #13
Cupcake

There are stores that sell kefir here. I wonder if I could make some by using the store-bought kefir that has live organisms in it.

I am new to the kefir thing and am excited to learn more.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Kefir

There are kefir grains and starter

I think the grains are better
Old 03-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I freeze and dry the grains. I sent some to Miter. I have used my dried grains and they sometimes need to hydrate for 2 days before the flavor is up to strength. If your house is warm it may take less time.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I received my frozen dried kefir today in the mail from my sister.

I started the kefir - I received in the mail today at noon ...

I just checked and they are already floating and visible --- about an inch across!
Oh my goodness "they're alive" !
Oh boy, at this rate they will be huge by dawn.
Invasion of the kefir

Sister Z-- thanks a million for the kefir

Old 03-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
There are stores that sell kefir here. I wonder if I could make some by using the store-bought kefir that has live organisms in it.

I am new to the kefir thing and am excited to learn more.
Very posible that you can.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #18
Cupcake

Totally worth a try. If it fails, I can always try sending an email to people with whom I work. There are many health-conscientious people. I'm sure one would know where I could get grains...or could have them!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #19
Master Chef

For sure there are some starters or other things in your local health store. Do you have Whole Foods for example? They sell some dry sruff, not sure if it is a starter or bacteria.

To trry to make from existing kefir. Warm up milk, it should be very warm, but not hot. It will kill the bacteria, add kefir, mix well, leave it overnight on the counter, you can even wrap it in a blanket, by the morning you should have something usable. The approximate proportion should be about 1 galon of milk to about 16 onces of kefir. This is very rough. You might have to tweek with it. Or maybe somebody has better recipe.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #20
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
For sure there are some starters or other things in your local health store. Do you have Whole Foods for example? They sell some dry sruff, not sure if it is a starter or bacteria.

To trry to make from existing kefir. Warm up milk, it should be very warm, but not hot. It will kill the bacteria, add kefir, mix well, leave it overnight on the counter, you can even wrap it in a blanket, by the morning you should have something usable. The approximate proportion should be about 1 galon of milk to about 16 onces of kefir. This is very rough. You might have to tweek with it. Or maybe somebody has better recipe.
Thanks! I actually ordered some from this vendor who is rumored to have a good reputation. Once I get them, I will have to let everyone know how it turns out!