Kefir - info requested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My cultures are suppose to hydrate for 5 to 7 days, but they are already really reacting with milk! I strained them into a quart container and am letting them work on a quart of milk. The cup of kefir strained tastes very much like buttermilk. I've added a small spoonful of maple syrup and plan to have it with lunch tomorrow.

One day, the barely-hydrated kefir grains turned the milk into curds and whey before I even got home. Active! I see no sign of them growing though.

I completed my first quart of kefir today. It tastes much like cultured buttermilk and has about the same texture/consistency. For my first cup, I simply mixed it with a spoon of maple syrup. Tasty. I hope to hear of other ways to use it. With the probiotic benefit, I want it to be used around here!

I completed my first quart of kefir today. It tastes much like cultured buttermilk and has about the same texture/consistency. For my first cup, I simply mixed it with a spoon of maple syrup. Tasty. I hope to hear of other ways to use it. With the probiotic benefit, I want it to be used around here!

It also has a small amount of alcohol. :angel: Wikipedia has an interesting article about it: Kefir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom