Kefir - info requested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miter

Assistant Cook
I AM RESEARCHING MAKING OR USING KEFIR. PLEASE POST INFO ABOUT:

MILK KEFIR
COCONUT MILK KEFIR

OR ANY OTHER KEFIR RELATED TOPIC:)

KEFIR RECIPES WELCOME!

Welcome to DC, Miter!

I have been looking into making some dairy products and kefir is one of the items I wish to make. I purchased two books and have scanned several websites. You will need kefir grains or a culture. I have some enzymes and items ordered. Here is a good overview.

I purchased some grains (1/4 cup) from the "kefirlady".I found her site online.

My sister makes kefir and said she was sending me some dried and frozen.
I said, "can you do that - dry and freeze it?" and she said she has made/shared using that method before.

I reviewed the site you sent and I have watched several videos on youtube.

Some people use milk (fresh raw milk from cows or goats is best I have heard) and other people make a coconut milk version.

I understand that there is Kefir "starter" available online, but I think each the starter can only be re-used to make about 6 batches before you have to open a new dry starter package. Starter is different than the longer lasting grains.

If you would like to be added as a friend, we can share ideas, experiences and recipes. I am new to this discussion board, so I have to figure out how to add friends to my list.

I also make cold process soap - so I will may have some posts in the future about that too!

Thanks for replying and have a good day.

--Teresa

Last edited by a moderator:
mmm Kefir! I've loved this stuff since I found it years and years ago. I am going to keep an eye on this thread because I'd love to try making it one day as well!

Recipe

:chef:Kefir Cheesecake:chef:

Pie Crust:
  • 2 -1/2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 cube (1/2) real butter, melted
Press graham mixture into two graham cracker pie crusts or one spring form pan with standard graham cracker crust

Filling:
  • 3/4 cups of whole milk or raw whole milk
  • 1 tablespoon of gelatin (Knox unflavored)
  • 2 cups kefir milk cream
  • 1/4 cup raw honey
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 2 teaspoons lime/lemon juice
  • 2 egg whites
  • Pinch of salt
Put milk into a small saucepan, sprinkle with the gelatin and warm slightly stirring with a flat wooden spoon until the gelatin is dissolved. Allow to cool.

Crack the eggs and separate yolks from the egg whites.

In a food processor, combine the kefir cream, raw honey, egg yolks, vanilla and lime/lemon juice, and process at low to medium speed for 20-30 seconds, or until smooth, being sure that all the honey has been mixed in and has not stuck to the bottom. To prevent the honey from sticking to the bottom of the processor make sure you spread the kefir over the bottom first. Note that if you over process at this stage you risk the cream turning to butter. (This is the egg custard.)

Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they form peaks, and put aside. At this point you will need to work quickly.

Add the cooled milk-gelatin mixture to the egg custard in the food processor and mix at slow to medium speed for 20- 30 seconds or until smooth.

Transfer the mixture to a bowl then gently fold in the egg whites with a spatula. Pour the mixture onto the crust and refrigerate for several hours before serving.

The basic smoothie -- berry banana

strawberry-banana-smoothie.jpg

Ingredients:
1 large ripe banana **
1 cup fresh or frozen berries
1 cup kefir
1 tsp pure cane sugar or raw honey
Whole milk (optional)

I have heard cold berries blend better without making the smoothie get too thick. Blend for a minute or two, until smooth. Pour into a large glass or two smaller glasses and enjoy!

(optional thickeners) Vanilla ice cream, yogurt or frozen yogurt

EXTRA PROTEIN? add protein powder (vanilla or unflavored soy or whey protein, which is sold for shakes)

** Bananas are one of our best sources of potassium, an essential mineral for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function. Since the average banana contains a whopping 467 mg of potassium and only 1 mg of sodium, a banana a day may help to prevent high blood pressure and protect against atherosclerosis. The effectiveness of potassium-rich foods such as bananas in lowering blood pressure has been demonstrated by a number of studies. :ermm:

Awesome. I've been looking for kefir grains or starter forever. At this point I am all but gave up. But still it is interesting to read about it what other people do. Share your ideas here, friens are good, but we also like to know. Thank you.

Be careful that you don't get taken for a ride by someone selling kefir "grains" online.

Any shippable grains are usually semi-dehydrated. You stick these in milk and eventually they will form new grains and make kefir.

If the truly fresh grains are shippable, I guess it's in some sort of special little container.

One person sent me the dried powder, which is for one-time use. It does not produce grains. I got cheated, so that's why I am warning you here. This one-use powder is also available in health food stores, but remember, if you want the real item, you have to hunt around for it. Best to look in your own city.

Daizy.

Oh--Kefir. We used to make that when I lived in Germany. We also got raw cow's milk from the farmer down the road (and yes, sometimes there was a piece of straw or two floating on top...I didn't die from drinking that milk nor did I get TB) and that's what we used for the Kefir. I am surprised that health-food stores don't sell the starter. We saved starter from each batch and used that to make the next batch.

I remember eating kefir with granola mixed in, with fresh fruits, and as a drink (with a bit of honey mixed in).

I also grew up on raw milk. Mmmmm good stuff - the cream rises to the top that you can make butter with.

Raw milk is "LIVE" and has many live probiotics - heat pateurizing kills all the live goodness.

California - sells raw milk in stores but it is costly. Farms sometimes have milk for purchase "for pets".

I am 40+ never had a problem drinking raw milk (entire family drank raw milk)

Last edited:
Kefir grains are a combination of bacteria and yeasts in a matrix of proteins, lipids, and sugars. This symbiotic matrix forms "grains" that resemble cauliflower. Many different bacteria and yeasts are found in the kefir grains, which are a complex and highly variable community of lactic acid bacteria and yeasts. Kefir grains contain a water soluble polysaccharide known as kefiran Kefir grains are a combination of bacteria and yeasts in a matrix of proteins, lipids, and sugars. This symbiotic matrix forms "grains" that resemble cauliflower. :huh:
Many different bacteria and yeasts are found in the kefir grains, which are a complex and highly variable community of lactic acid bacteria and yeasts. Kefir grains contain a water soluble polysaccharide known as kefiran. (source: wikipedia)

There are stores that sell kefir here. I wonder if I could make some by using the store-bought kefir that has live organisms in it.

I am new to the kefir thing and am excited to learn more.

I freeze and dry the grains. I sent some to Miter. I have used my dried grains and they sometimes need to hydrate for 2 days before the flavor is up to strength. If your house is warm it may take less time.

I received my frozen dried kefir today in the mail from my sister.

I started the kefir - I received in the mail today at noon ...

I just checked and they are already floating and visible --- about an inch across!
Oh my goodness "they're alive" !
Oh boy, at this rate they will be huge by dawn.
Invasion of the kefir

Sister Z-- thanks a million for the kefir

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Totally worth a try. If it fails, I can always try sending an email to people with whom I work. There are many health-conscientious people. I'm sure one would know where I could get grains...or could have them!

For sure there are some starters or other things in your local health store. Do you have Whole Foods for example? They sell some dry sruff, not sure if it is a starter or bacteria.

To trry to make from existing kefir. Warm up milk, it should be very warm, but not hot. It will kill the bacteria, add kefir, mix well, leave it overnight on the counter, you can even wrap it in a blanket, by the morning you should have something usable. The approximate proportion should be about 1 galon of milk to about 16 onces of kefir. This is very rough. You might have to tweek with it. Or maybe somebody has better recipe.

For sure there are some starters or other things in your local health store. Do you have Whole Foods for example? They sell some dry sruff, not sure if it is a starter or bacteria.

To trry to make from existing kefir. Warm up milk, it should be very warm, but not hot. It will kill the bacteria, add kefir, mix well, leave it overnight on the counter, you can even wrap it in a blanket, by the morning you should have something usable. The approximate proportion should be about 1 galon of milk to about 16 onces of kefir. This is very rough. You might have to tweek with it. Or maybe somebody has better recipe.

Thanks! I actually ordered some from this vendor who is rumored to have a good reputation. Once I get them, I will have to let everyone know how it turns out!

Back
Top Bottom