"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile Kefir - info requested

I AM RESEARCHING MAKING OR USING KEFIR. PLEASE POST INFO ABOUT:

MILK KEFIR
COCONUT MILK KEFIR

OR ANY OTHER KEFIR RELATED TOPIC

KEFIR RECIPES WELCOME!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Cupcake

Welcome to DC, Miter!

I have been looking into making some dairy products and kefir is one of the items I wish to make. I purchased two books and have scanned several websites. You will need kefir grains or a culture. I have some enzymes and items ordered. Here is a good overview.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I purchased some grains (1/4 cup) from the "kefirlady".I found her site online.

My sister makes kefir and said she was sending me some dried and frozen.
I said, "can you do that - dry and freeze it?" and she said she has made/shared using that method before.

I reviewed the site you sent and I have watched several videos on youtube.

Some people use milk (fresh raw milk from cows or goats is best I have heard) and other people make a coconut milk version.

I understand that there is Kefir "starter" available online, but I think each the starter can only be re-used to make about 6 batches before you have to open a new dry starter package. Starter is different than the longer lasting grains.

If you would like to be added as a friend, we can share ideas, experiences and recipes. I am new to this discussion board, so I have to figure out how to add friends to my list.

I also make cold process soap - so I will may have some posts in the future about that too!

Thanks for replying and have a good day.

--Teresa
Old 03-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
Head Chef

mmm Kefir! I've loved this stuff since I found it years and years ago. I am going to keep an eye on this thread because I'd love to try making it one day as well!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb Recipe

Kefir Cheesecake

Pie Crust:
  • 2 -1/2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 cube (1/2) real butter, melted
Press graham mixture into two graham cracker pie crusts or one spring form pan with standard graham cracker crust

Filling:
  • 3/4 cups of whole milk or raw whole milk
  • 1 tablespoon of gelatin (Knox unflavored)
  • 2 cups kefir milk cream
  • 1/4 cup raw honey
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 2 teaspoons lime/lemon juice
  • 2 egg whites
  • Pinch of salt
Put milk into a small saucepan, sprinkle with the gelatin and warm slightly stirring with a flat wooden spoon until the gelatin is dissolved. Allow to cool.

Crack the eggs and separate yolks from the egg whites.

In a food processor, combine the kefir cream, raw honey, egg yolks, vanilla and lime/lemon juice, and process at low to medium speed for 20-30 seconds, or until smooth, being sure that all the honey has been mixed in and has not stuck to the bottom. To prevent the honey from sticking to the bottom of the processor make sure you spread the kefir over the bottom first. Note that if you over process at this stage you risk the cream turning to butter. (This is the egg custard.)

Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they form peaks, and put aside. At this point you will need to work quickly.

Add the cooled milk-gelatin mixture to the egg custard in the food processor and mix at slow to medium speed for 20- 30 seconds or until smooth.

Transfer the mixture to a bowl then gently fold in the egg whites with a spatula. Pour the mixture onto the crust and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Anyone who has kefir recipes (desserts smoothies etc)

please share them here.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Arrow The basic smoothie -- berry banana

Ingredients:
1 large ripe banana **
1 cup fresh or frozen berries
1 cup kefir
1 tsp pure cane sugar or raw honey
Whole milk (optional)

I have heard cold berries blend better without making the smoothie get too thick. Blend for a minute or two, until smooth. Pour into a large glass or two smaller glasses and enjoy!

(optional thickeners) Vanilla ice cream, yogurt or frozen yogurt

EXTRA PROTEIN? add protein powder (vanilla or unflavored soy or whey protein, which is sold for shakes)

** Bananas are one of our best sources of potassium, an essential mineral for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function. Since the average banana contains a whopping 467 mg of potassium and only 1 mg of sodium, a banana a day may help to prevent high blood pressure and protect against atherosclerosis. The effectiveness of potassium-rich foods such as bananas in lowering blood pressure has been demonstrated by a number of studies.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
Master Chef

Awesome. I've been looking for kefir grains or starter forever. At this point I am all but gave up. But still it is interesting to read about it what other people do. Share your ideas here, friens are good, but we also like to know. Thank you.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Be careful that you don't get taken for a ride by someone selling kefir "grains" online.

Any shippable grains are usually semi-dehydrated. You stick these in milk and eventually they will form new grains and make kefir.

If the truly fresh grains are shippable, I guess it's in some sort of special little container.

One person sent me the dried powder, which is for one-time use. It does not produce grains. I got cheated, so that's why I am warning you here. This one-use powder is also available in health food stores, but remember, if you want the real item, you have to hunt around for it. Best to look in your own city.

Daizy.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh--Kefir. We used to make that when I lived in Germany. We also got raw cow's milk from the farmer down the road (and yes, sometimes there was a piece of straw or two floating on top...I didn't die from drinking that milk nor did I get TB) and that's what we used for the Kefir. I am surprised that health-food stores don't sell the starter. We saved starter from each batch and used that to make the next batch.

I remember eating kefir with granola mixed in, with fresh fruits, and as a drink (with a bit of honey mixed in).