Ketchup Hate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My theory is that many people look down with disdain at the condiments and other foods that were popular during much of the last century. Ketchup, yellow mustard and mayonnaise all seem to attract the same negative feelings.

Back then, industrial food was seen as safe and modern, and people liked being able to count on getting a consistent product. Currently, people believe "farm to fork" is more desirable; I think it's partly because, with modern food handling practices and the availability of antibiotics, in general, we don't have to worry about food contamination.

I'm sure the pendulum will swing back one day.

Agreed, the Hot dog, and the hamburger, were a way that protien could get to the masses. and Ketchup, yellow mustard, and mayonnaise were in that.

I sometimes get pissed at my peers for interest in their idea of 'reclaiming' food that was once just working peoples food. Cripes, you make a cheestake on sourdough bread with kobe beef and gureere cheese, it is a cheesteake.

My peers also have more cash on them than I do, so I come here and post my recipes. I sometimes hope and pray that my beef stroganoff well, is much better than theirs, because I have worked on it, and they can bite my arse.

wink and a nod, TBS

I just made some more coarse-ground Dijon mustard today. I want to get a stronger blender, because the one I have doesn't seem able to buzz mustard seeds into a smooth mustard.

Attachments

• 1471411994665.jpg
    1471411994665.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 131
erehweslefox; You didnt use vinegar steeped in panda tears, no wonder the hippie girl wont go out with you. ;) Check up youtube for Posh Nosh, a British comedy, I think you will enjoy it.

In Sweden, the satanic relish is Lingon jam, we have the same discussion with that as this.

This weekend a friend made a drink with ketchup, it was good but weird.

Oh CakePoet, if a friend made you a drink with ketchup and liquor I would say he might not be a friend at all, but a suitor.

The good man might not have access to lindonberry jam. I would consider his weird ketchup drink flirting.

Of course the devil is in the details, whether it is in ketchup or Lingon jam.

:)

Personally, the only food I add ketchup to after the cooking process is a cold meatloaf sandwich. Otherwise, I will use it as an add-in for meatloaf. Himself likes it on burgers, so we always have it on hand. His preferred is Heinz, while I (the shopper) prefer to buy OnSale. He thinks he's hit the lottery when OnSale is also his Heinz brand.

..I do hope everyone knows above was sarcasm and horrible mockery of people I do know that pretend to like food, have more money than sense, and don't cook other than a microwave or a cell phone to order out.

I adore church cookbooks, I have one from Venita, OK, and now from the Methodist Church ladies on Chincoteage Island.
Mock away. Your sarcasm came across as firmly planted in cheek. If you make it sound too serious, however, people might take it the wrong way and end up chasing you off DC. So many times I've wished that DC, et al, had a sarcasm font, or a bubble image you could put around a sarcastic post. It might make life easier...

I have church cookbooks, organizations' fundraiser cookbooks. Heck, even the huge office building I worked in when I was at Ohio Bell Telephone Company put our own cookbook together - I have that one, too. They are all fun, not only for the recipes, but for the stories they sometimes include.

I have church cookbooks, organizations' fundraiser cookbooks. Heck, even the huge office building I worked in when I was at Ohio Bell Telephone Company put our own cookbook together - I have that one, too. They are all fun, not only for the recipes, but for the stories they sometimes include.

I thought I was over the top enough, but kind of got into writing in character. I was worried that some might misinterpret.

On our Chincoteague trip, I spent five dollars of my trip money on 'Chincotqege Seafood Recipies and Hints" compiled by the Miriam Circle of the Christ United Methodist Church. It is gonna stay in my briefcase until I use a recipe from it. I'd share their clam chowder, but I haven't made it yet, and, well it looks good. I'll work it a bit, and it is mine, and share it, but I am gonna give credit to the Christ United Methodist Church, Miram Circle, Chincoteage VA.

Church cookbooks are somewhat amazing. I have one from Oklahoma, I won't embarrass the church for being associated with me.

TBS

erehweslefox: I think his boyfriend would be upset. *lol* I asked what in it, he said pineapplesage vodka, ketchup, Tabasco and some nutmeg among other thing.

We did do lingon drink last time, this time no one had brought lingon juice, it is like cranberry juice , but I prefer lingon over cranberries.

Mock away. Your sarcasm came across as firmly planted in cheek. If you make it sound too serious, however, people might take it the wrong way and end up chasing you off DC. So many times I've wished that DC, et al, had a sarcasm font, or a bubble image you could put around a sarcastic post. It might make life easier...

But they do.... :rolleyes: or :LOL: or:wacko: or ;). Just depends on the form or intensity of your sarcasm or irony. It's always a good idea to use one of them, because I have seen some very acrimonious battles over what was intended to be a humorous remark. Often the only sure way to express intent with the printed word is with an appropriate emoticon.

Last edited:
A friend reminded me that I got banned from a food forum for defending the use of ketchup on hot dogs...

Apparently it isnt fine dining to have ketchup on hot dogs, it childish and immature and god knows what.

Apparently it isnt fine dining to have ketchup on hot dogs, it childish and immature and god knows what.

"Some" would say that it's simply a poor flavor pairing, but then "some" would also say that eating a hot dog period is a poor dietary decision. :rolleyes: I may not like ketchup on a hot dog, but I can still disagree with "some". :LOL:

Well in Sweden ketchup is the more common choice on a hotdog then mustard, I tend to go for both or just mustard. I had one today, 70% meat kind, love them.

it's great on old fried chicken, add some hot sauce to it and it makes the old reheated chicken palatable.

ketchup on eggs... ugh. sorry. could never.

I'm a mustard (sometimes mayo) and relish kinda girl when it comes to hot dogs. But I've done hot dogs and ketchup before. It's not bad. I just prefer the mustard taste. The relish and ketchup combo is so sweet, drowns out the hot dog flavor.

I don't use it often but am not opposed to its existence. I use it on FF, in BBQ sauce and Chinese style pepper steak.

Actually my only use for ketchup as a condiment is with French fries or onion rings. And as I said, as a base for DIY BBQ sauce.

I recommend trying Homade brand chili sauce as a topping for meat loaf if you can find it in your local market. Small round jar.

Ketchup on eggs any style, burgers, meatloaf, tater tots and fries. Never on hot dogs.

I too like ketchup on eggs, burgers, meatloaf, tater tots, fries, used to make barbecues, ketchup noodles, and in other dishes such as... http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/hamburger-spanish-rice-with-bacon-96350.html.

While my husband puts ketchup on his hot dogs, I prefer mine with yellow mustard, sweet pickle relish, onions, and sometimes with sauerkraut.

Whenever someone starts talking about ketchup, the first thing I think of is... Archie Bunker and all the crazy stuff he puts ketchup on. The 2nd thing I think of is... The episode of That Girl, when Ann Marie mixed it with some hot water to make tomato soup, as she didn't have enough money to buy a descent lunch at the café.

Has anyone here bought those spicy ketchups? My husband and I love the Sriracha ketchup. I have also purchased the Jalapeño ketchup, but haven't tried it just yet.

Yes. Hot dogs are to have mustard, relish, maybe onions and sauerkraut. Never ketchup.

Back
Top Bottom