"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-17-2016, 01:09 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
My theory is that many people look down with disdain at the condiments and other foods that were popular during much of the last century. Ketchup, yellow mustard and mayonnaise all seem to attract the same negative feelings.

Back then, industrial food was seen as safe and modern, and people liked being able to count on getting a consistent product. Currently, people believe "farm to fork" is more desirable; I think it's partly because, with modern food handling practices and the availability of antibiotics, in general, we don't have to worry about food contamination.

I'm sure the pendulum will swing back one day.
Agreed, the Hot dog, and the hamburger, were a way that protien could get to the masses. and Ketchup, yellow mustard, and mayonnaise were in that.

I sometimes get pissed at my peers for interest in their idea of 'reclaiming' food that was once just working peoples food. Cripes, you make a cheestake on sourdough bread with kobe beef and gureere cheese, it is a cheesteake.

My peers also have more cash on them than I do, so I come here and post my recipes. I sometimes hope and pray that my beef stroganoff well, is much better than theirs, because I have worked on it, and they can bite my arse.

wink and a nod, TBS

Old 08-17-2016, 01:12 AM   #22
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:

... snipped ...

I'm sure the pendulum will swing back one day.
AGREED!
I love handmade condiments, but what a PITA!!! And they don't last very long (ie, no preservatives) so you better use up that batch of mayo NOW!!!
I want to try homemade mustard next ...

Old 08-17-2016, 01:33 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

I just made some more coarse-ground Dijon mustard today. I want to get a stronger blender, because the one I have doesn't seem able to buzz mustard seeds into a smooth mustard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1471411994665.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	25195  
Old 08-17-2016, 01:38 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
I gotcha. Thought your riff was hilarious
Took a risk, I didn't know what the tolerance for sarcasm was.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:45 AM   #25
Sous Chef

erehweslefox; You didnt use vinegar steeped in panda tears, no wonder the hippie girl wont go out with you. ;) Check up youtube for Posh Nosh, a British comedy, I think you will enjoy it.

In Sweden, the satanic relish is Lingon jam, we have the same discussion with that as this.

This weekend a friend made a drink with ketchup, it was good but weird.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:59 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Oh CakePoet, if a friend made you a drink with ketchup and liquor I would say he might not be a friend at all, but a suitor.

The good man might not have access to lindonberry jam. I would consider his weird ketchup drink flirting.

Of course the devil is in the details, whether it is in ketchup or Lingon jam.

:)
Old 08-17-2016, 03:04 AM   #27
Master Chef

Personally, the only food I add ketchup to after the cooking process is a cold meatloaf sandwich. Otherwise, I will use it as an add-in for meatloaf. Himself likes it on burgers, so we always have it on hand. His preferred is Heinz, while I (the shopper) prefer to buy OnSale. He thinks he's hit the lottery when OnSale is also his Heinz brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
..I do hope everyone knows above was sarcasm and horrible mockery of people I do know that pretend to like food, have more money than sense, and don't cook other than a microwave or a cell phone to order out.

I adore church cookbooks, I have one from Venita, OK, and now from the Methodist Church ladies on Chincoteage Island.
Mock away. Your sarcasm came across as firmly planted in cheek. If you make it sound too serious, however, people might take it the wrong way and end up chasing you off DC. So many times I've wished that DC, et al, had a sarcasm font, or a bubble image you could put around a sarcastic post. It might make life easier...

I have church cookbooks, organizations' fundraiser cookbooks. Heck, even the huge office building I worked in when I was at Ohio Bell Telephone Company put our own cookbook together - I have that one, too. They are all fun, not only for the recipes, but for the stories they sometimes include.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:41 AM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I have church cookbooks, organizations' fundraiser cookbooks. Heck, even the huge office building I worked in when I was at Ohio Bell Telephone Company put our own cookbook together - I have that one, too. They are all fun, not only for the recipes, but for the stories they sometimes include.
I thought I was over the top enough, but kind of got into writing in character. I was worried that some might misinterpret.

On our Chincoteague trip, I spent five dollars of my trip money on 'Chincotqege Seafood Recipies and Hints" compiled by the Miriam Circle of the Christ United Methodist Church. It is gonna stay in my briefcase until I use a recipe from it. I'd share their clam chowder, but I haven't made it yet, and, well it looks good. I'll work it a bit, and it is mine, and share it, but I am gonna give credit to the Christ United Methodist Church, Miram Circle, Chincoteage VA.

Church cookbooks are somewhat amazing. I have one from Oklahoma, I won't embarrass the church for being associated with me.

TBS
Old 08-17-2016, 05:07 AM   #29
Sous Chef

erehweslefox: I think his boyfriend would be upset. *lol* I asked what in it, he said pineapplesage vodka, ketchup, Tabasco and some nutmeg among other thing.

We did do lingon drink last time, this time no one had brought lingon juice, it is like cranberry juice , but I prefer lingon over cranberries.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

Mock away. Your sarcasm came across as firmly planted in cheek. If you make it sound too serious, however, people might take it the wrong way and end up chasing you off DC. So many times I've wished that DC, et al, had a sarcasm font, or a bubble image you could put around a sarcastic post. It might make life easier...
But they do.... or or or . Just depends on the form or intensity of your sarcasm or irony. It's always a good idea to use one of them, because I have seen some very acrimonious battles over what was intended to be a humorous remark. Often the only sure way to express intent with the printed word is with an appropriate emoticon.