Ketchup Hate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RPCookin

Executive Chef
Just curious about the comments I see occasionally about from folks who find ketchup to be somehow related to Satanic worship. I certainly don't put it on everything like my father did (never did understand why everything he ate had to taste like ketchup), but I do find it quite useful for adding zip to some sauces and dishes. I always have a bottle of Heinz in the fridge.

It's a regular ingredient in many of my barbecue sauce recipes, and my Mom's sloppy joes were just ground beef, ketchup, vinegar, onion, Worcestershire, and a dash of yellow mustard. I grew up on them and still love them to this day. I can whip up a batch in about 15 minutes from starting to brown the beef to sitting down at the table. The dominant flavor was the vinegar, not the ketchup (which is why my wife won't eat them - she says they are too vinegary :rolleyes: ).

It's also mandatory on a cheeseburger. ;)

Last edited:
I think it has to do with that some people have ketchup to everything even cinnamon buns, just so it will taste good. But those who do that dont even taste food and I think they are scared of flavours. I on the other hand have ketchup at home but will add lingon jam to everything but soup.
Ketchup has it places but not on burgers, that I dont even use lingonjam, unless it elk ( alces Alces) mince...

I like ketchup and will put it on hot dogs and hamburgers and also in meatloaf, but I draw the line at eggs! But I also seem to use ketchup in a lot of sauce recipes, like hoisin baked chicken. So I usually keep a bottle on hand.

Last edited:
I'm one of those who doesn't like ketchup at all, and haven't bought a bottle in over 20 years. :LOL:

I do keep chili sauce on hand though and find it a much better substitute, at least for me. I use it when I make Thousand Island salad dressing and BBQ sauce, and now and then as a meatloaf glaze. I always have a bottle of cocktail sauce in my fridge too, sometimes I'll have a little of that with shrimp.

I like just mayo on hamburgers - once in a while a blend of mayo and chili sauce. No plain ketchup in this house, though. :)

I have ketchup, just don't eat it on everything like I did when I was a kid. When Shrek and I were starting to date, he took me out for an expensive steak dinner. He says when I didn't put ketchup on my medium rare steak he knew right then I was a keeper.

Burgers-no ketchup, hot dogs-ketchup, french fries-may or may not have ketchup.

I don't use much of it, and mostly because it's very sugary. But there are a handful of foods I like it on. All of these are holdovers from childhood:

• Hamburgers
  • Fried egg sandwiches (but not on just plain eggs)
  • Corned beef hash. This was the way my dad always ate it.

And of course BBQ sauce. That's really about it.

If I need a barbecue sauce, ketchup is a nice base to start with.
If I need a few tablespoons of tomato paste, ketchup is a good substitute.
A little ketchup, pickle relish and mayo make a darn good thousand island dressing.
Ketchup is good with french fries, all 2 times a year that I treat myself to them.
I just finished making ketchup for the year using the ball recipe, reducing the sugar by 1/3, it is delicious.

We use store bought "ketchup" as an ingredient in some BBQ sauces. Very rarely as a condiment. We do use it in a topping mix for meatloaf. IMO, use it as you wish!:yum:

Ketchup on eggs any style, burgers, meatloaf, tater tots and fries. Never on hot dogs.

When my brother was a kid, he hated vegetables. His veg was a big old raw carrot that he dipped in ketchup.

Last edited:
Well, store bought ketchup is very proletariat. And I hate that, unless it is PBR beer.

There is a big difference if you buy artisan catsup from a decent vendor that understands the history of the condiment, but also is really ironic and pretentious about it. I like the McMustash Brothers Fine Foods and Haberdashery in Park Slope, Brooklyn. There are only open for several hours during the full moon, it is worth waiting in line, they have 15 different kinds of artisan catsup, with flavors like 'stale pipe smoke' and 'patcholli oil because I'm now trying to make ironic the time I was a hippie and followed Phish around for the summer'.

If you happen to live somewhere awful, like the midwest, or upstate New York, or New Jersey, you can make your own catsup with this simple recipe.

Artisan Catsup that is Awesome and will totally impress people:

12 Heirloom tomatoes, and make damn sure they are weird colors and shapes, and wormholes are good too. And they have to be organic. I get mine from the hippie chick at the farmer's market that still won't go out with me because she thinks I'm a capitalist running dog 'cause I work for a .com. I mean what does she know about social sharing network creation synergy anyway? Lives on a commune.

1 medium onion chopped, everyone uses White or Spanish onions, I use onions from Andorra, they not only are one of the smallest countries in the world, but their onion harvest is like three a year.

Garlic, I'd give an amount, but you know you are going to make a mistake somewhere in preparation here, so use a crapload. Garlic covers all sins.

2 tbsp oil, there is a debate among true foodies whether first harvest small sustainable betel juice oil is best, or indigenous made peruvian llama oil. They are both so obscure and hard to obtain I can't decide!

Spices, look if you are a hipster chef you have most of Penzy's catalog in your cupboard, just go nuts

1/2 a cup packed brown sugar. Brown sugar , of course is loaded with racial and classist overtones. I only get mine from a small B&B in South Carolina that gives a select clientele the 'brown sugar making experience' I am telling you, saving up to go there, cutting sugar cane looks like it is better than pilates for a core body workout.

1/2 cup cider vinegar. I will say I am over cider vinegar, I used to be into it, but I found out it attracts fruit flies which are so goesh. I generally leave a glass of good brandy out until it goes off, and use that. It occasionally attracts stereotype french noblemen, but you can get rid of them quick by setting fire to their wigs.

So to make this, you put this all in a blender, I think.

I use this one,

Blendtec Stealth Blender - In Photos: The Most Expensive Kitchen Appliances

It is totally awesome, and I trust because I as a good cook picked the best ingredients and tool it will all work out in the end.

So when you get this done, pour it lovingly into some vintage ball jars and you have your Awesome Artisin Catsup! It turns green in a while, but that is because the vinegar is working.

The best is when you go out to Five Guys Burgers and ask them to use your Artisnal Awesome Catsup instead of their cardboard crap condiment, they will tell you it 'smells funny' and 'probably isn't safe' don't they wish they were a foodie like you?

***break break, looks like my post was hijacked by Ron who calls himself Roland, and keeps on eviting me to things I don't care about and can't afford in NYC, back to your usual programming***

I use Heinz Ketchup in many recipes, and store brand when it is on sale. My favorite London broil marinade uses almost a bottle of it, so I keep extra on hand , because when London Broil goes on sale, you have to be there, with the stuff, I also think that is the only reason I stock Celery Seed, not that I have a bad opinion of Celery seen, just seems that is the only thing I use it for.

There is a persistent meme of the Ugly American going to France, and asking for ketchup on a haute cuisine dish. I do dislike to see a good steak slathered with ketchup. But it is a noble condiment, used for its intent.

If you hate it don't use it. That Satanic stuff is ridiculous. Only a nut case would think that. Food is food.

I too use it in my family barbecue sauce, probably typical of such family sauces which are just "amped" up ketchup and ingredients to customize it just like Mom made! :)

Try some cumin in your family BBQ sauce if it doesn't already have it. :) That's what Sookie Stackhouse uses! ;)

I don't use it often but am not opposed to its existence. I use it on FF, in BBQ sauce and Chinese style pepper steak.

Well, store bought ketchup is very proletariat. And I hate that, unless it is PBR beer.

There is a big difference if you buy artisan catsup from a decent vendor that understands the history of the condiment, but also is really ironic and pretentious about it. I like the McMustash Brothers Fine Foods and Haberdashery in Park Slope, Brooklyn. There are only open for several hours during the full moon, it is worth waiting in line, they have 15 different kinds of artisan catsup, with flavors like 'stale pipe smoke' and 'patcholli oil because I'm now trying to make ironic the time I was a hippie and followed Phish around for the summer'...

Lolololol! Hee hee! Lmao! :ROFLMAO:

I like ketchup. My burgers, hotdogs, fries and tater tots don't taste right without it.

My theory is that many people look down with disdain at the condiments and other foods that were popular during much of the last century. Ketchup, yellow mustard and mayonnaise all seem to attract the same negative feelings.

Back then, industrial food was seen as safe and modern, and people liked being able to count on getting a consistent product. Currently, people believe "farm to fork" is more desirable; I think it's partly because, with modern food handling practices and the availability of antibiotics, in general, we don't have to worry about food contamination.

I'm sure the pendulum will swing back one day.

My theory is that many people look down with disdain at the condiments and other foods that were popular during much of the last century. Ketchup, yellow mustard and mayonnaise all seem to attract the same negative feelings.

Good theory. GG, I do hope everyone knows above was sarcasm and horrible mockery of people I do know that pretend to like food, have more money than sense, and don't cook other than a microwave or a cell phone to order out.

I adore church cookbooks, I have one from Venita, OK, and now from the Methodist Church ladies on Chincoteage Island.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom