Ketchup Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like this because it is so simple, although how it compares to ketchup in the US I don't know but I prefer the taste of it to Australian tomato sauce.

You can make your tomato puree if you like but I use a can of tomato soup - no additives - for speed. And I am lazy!

1 can of tomato soup
1 cup of red wine vinegar (although I have used white wine vinegar and also just white vinegar - depends what is on hand)
1 cup of brown sugar
1 small onion - smashed to release flavour
1 clove of garlic - smashed to release flavour
1/2 teaspoon of chilli paste or equivalent
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 dried bay leaf
1 clove
salt and pepper

(you can put the onion, garlic, bay leaf and clove in cheese cloth if you prefer - for ease of removal)

Place all ingredients in cold saucepan. Bring to boil with lid on. Remove lid when boiling and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for about 35 mins. Sauce should be thick and glossy but still of a pouring consistency. Check for taste a few minutes before the end, esp to get the sugar vs acid levels right. Remove onion, garlic, bay leaf and clove before bottling. If you have made your own puree, you may need to sieve further to get that sauce-like state.

The chilli in this should only provide an aftertaste of mild heat. It is not a chilli sauce. Makes one bottle and should be refrigerated

There's a recipe for homemade ketchup in Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything that I've been wanting to try. You might consider checking this book out @ your library, because there's loads of recipes for homemade sauces, condiments, and spice mixes. Ketchup, seventeen variations on homemade mustard, mayo, pan sauces, BBQ sauce, salsas, chutneys, you name it.

This is a Low Carb Ketchup recipe

3 cups canned tomatoes, pureed
2 pgs sweetener
2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup white vinegar

Combine everything except the sweetener into a medium saucepan. Simmer for one and a half hours, stirring regularly. Remove from heat and add two packages sweetener. Cool and pour into an empty, cleaned ketchup bottle, or in a jar with tight lid. Store in refridgerator for up to four months.

I would guess that as it's billed as "low carb" its those little blue or pink packets of artificial sweetener.

I know that what we purchase on U.W. store shelves is only one version of ketchup, or catsup. In the Philippines, it's made from bananas, though I never had the chance to taste it.

It's like mole' sauce. We think of it as a sauce of Mexican, or South American origin that has chilis and unsweetened chocolate. And yet we eat guacamole. Mole' means sauce. Guaca is the avocado part. Guacmole is avocado sauce. Do a quick Google search and you will no doubt find a host of ketchup recipes. Good luck. I hope you find one you truly love. Or, take a look at several to get an idea of what ketchup is, then create your own recipe. That's what I'd do.:chef:

The following link gives a surprising history of ketchup, where it originated and interesting facts, as well as recipes: http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodhistory/a/ketchuphistory.htm

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom