"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-12-2014, 11:55 PM   #21
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
...Now, any time I cook or bake, the first thing I do is get out all the ingredients and line them up according to when they are used. Then as I use each one, I put it away. That way, I never forget an ingredient or put it in twice.
Yup, that's what I do too! Burned once, twice shy...
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #22
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 35
My main job for the family Thanksgiving dinner is to prepare the cornbread dressing, what some may call stuffing. It's just too bad no one seems to make it like I do, so I'm stuck with it, but I love to do it. Chopping onions, celery and hard boiled eggs the night before in preparation, saving chicken broth from previous roastings, baking a couple of cast iron pans full of cornbread, toasting some stale bread into croutons, cracking and mixing in more eggs...it's a little extra work, but it all comes together so well with a little sage thrown in.

We have a lab-border collie rescue dog, Maya, who adores cornbread. No, she obsesses over cornbread. When it's baking, she's positioned by the oven, just soaking in the scent. We speculate that's all she got to eat as a puppy before we found her, and it makes her all nostalgic for the good old days under the house in Georgia where she was born.

Two years ago, I was all up in the dressing-making. All ingredients combined, poured into two large baking pans ready to go into the oven, setting on top of the stove. I began to worry the dressing was too dry. No more homemade broth, I'd used it all. No canned broth in the pantry. Decided to make a run to the grocery store and grab a can of broth.

When I came back, my husband met me in the kitchen and asked why I made two pans only one-third filled with dressing. I stared at the pans -all the "raw" dressing was gone except for thin line at the back of each pan. Maya, who's an Olympic-worthy counter-surfer, had taken advantage of my absence and devoured almost two whole pans of cornbread, eggs, and uncooked onions and celery. She was on the floor sleeping it off.

Now here's the bad part. I combined the two pans, quickly added more celery, onions, bread and eggs, along with the storebrought broth. Only one pan of dressing, but it was all eaten and everyone raved about it. Maybe it was the dog germs, cooked down, that made it so wonderful. Sorry if this grosses anyone out, but heat kills all ick, in my scientific estimation.

Another day, I may tell you about the paprika with the weevil infestation that made the most awesome devilled eggs.
__________________

__________________
TaraWildes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #23
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraWildes View Post
My main job for the family Thanksgiving dinner is to prepare the cornbread dressing, what some may call stuffing. It's just too bad no one seems to make it like I do, so I'm stuck with it, but I love to do it. Chopping onions, celery and hard boiled eggs the night before in preparation, saving chicken broth from previous roastings, baking a couple of cast iron pans full of cornbread, toasting some stale bread into croutons, cracking and mixing in more eggs...it's a little extra work, but it all comes together so well with a little sage thrown in.

We have a lab-border collie rescue dog, Maya, who adores cornbread. No, she obsesses over cornbread. When it's baking, she's positioned by the oven, just soaking in the scent. We speculate that's all she got to eat as a puppy before we found her, and it makes her all nostalgic for the good old days under the house in Georgia where she was born.

Two years ago, I was all up in the dressing-making. All ingredients combined, poured into two large baking pans ready to go into the oven, setting on top of the stove. I began to worry the dressing was too dry. No more homemade broth, I'd used it all. No canned broth in the pantry. Decided to make a run to the grocery store and grab a can of broth.

When I came back, my husband met me in the kitchen and asked why I made two pans only one-third filled with dressing. I stared at the pans -all the "raw" dressing was gone except for thin line at the back of each pan. Maya, who's an Olympic-worthy counter-surfer, had taken advantage of my absence and devoured almost two whole pans of cornbread, eggs, and uncooked onions and celery. She was on the floor sleeping it off.

Now here's the bad part. I combined the two pans, quickly added more celery, onions, bread and eggs, along with the storebrought broth. Only one pan of dressing, but it was all eaten and everyone raved about it. Maybe it was the dog germs, cooked down, that made it so wonderful. Sorry if this grosses anyone out, but heat kills all ick, in my scientific estimation.

Another day, I may tell you about the paprika with the weevil infestation that made the most awesome devilled eggs.
That's just too much information, even for me, and I've eaten earthworms roasted in a burning paper milk carton. I'm thinking I'll stick to my dressing. I'm like Lucy from Peanuts cartoons - Eek! Dog germs!. I've got dog germs on me. Call the doctor! Call the ambulance! I need and alcohol bath, Stat!

Yeh, I don't do well with being licked by animals (even less comfortable with people licking me. I had a child that used to come up and lick the side of your face, knowing it would gross you out. I won't say which one.).

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:48 AM   #24
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
FWIW, the boyfriend and I parted ways about six months or so later. He turned out to be not as easy-going as his Mom.
You probably had a lucky escape. Men are usually what their mothers make them and she may have turned out to be the MiL from hell when she had you hog-tied (Us spinsters see a lot of the world and become very cynical)
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:56 AM   #25
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
That's just too much information, even for me, and I've eaten earthworms roasted in a burning paper milk carton. I'm thinking I'll stick to my dressing. I'm like Lucy from Peanuts cartoons - Eek! Dog germs!. I've got dog germs on me. Call the doctor! Call the ambulance! I need and alcohol bath, Stat!

Yeh, I don't do well with being licked by animals (even less comfortable with people licking me. I had a child that used to come up and lick the side of your face, knowing it would gross you out. I won't say which one.).

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
"I've eaten earthworms roasted in a burning paper milk carton."

Did you know what you were eating? Was it intentional? Tell all - we need to know (at least, I do).

As for licking by animals, I used to have a dog who licked feet. Gross but very soothing after a hard day's shopping.
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #26
Head Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,085
My mother spilt the fat from the goose. The fat was bulging over the rim when she opened the oven door. She almost reached the counter when the bottom of the pan didn't clear - goose fat all down the cupboard and onto the floor, across the counter and under all the paraphernalia on it. It even dripped back into the oven and smoked.

Mom also had a dog which would lick her feet for hours, I was so jealous! but now I have one, not as good as hers but that's OK. That warm massage is wonderful! even for a short time.

Up at the cottage one year I had to make some biscuits or something, don't remember exactly what, but it took me forever. When everything was finally ready my husband whispered "what took so long?" I whispered back "It takes a long time to pick out bugs and larva from flour...." I noticed he didn't eat much of his.

When a friend came over from England to visit with my SIL I invited them to come out for ribs. I bragged and bragged about how fantastic my ribs are with a dry rub and slow cooked on the BBQ, so juicy, tender and tasty. They arrived and we started going thru pictures of his other trips here.... and I, completely engrossed with the pics, did NOT watch the clock, an extra hour and 1/2!!! later they were overcooked to crunchy tooth cracking dried meat on a bone. With typical dry English humour Stewart commented on how he was sure they probably would have been delicious had he been able to taste anything. My SIL still laughs with him on the phone about it. Funny, he hasn't come back for another visit yet .

We all have such similar stories. Love it! Keep'em comin' in!
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #27
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Thanksgivings were large affairs, with the hostess with the mostess space cooking the turkey and the rest of us bringing all the rest.

First time I ever cooked a whole turkey myself was when a MIL visited that I'd never met. My husband had bragged about what a good cook I was (and, modestly, I was pretty good. )

So, turkey baked, looked good and I went to scoop out the dressing/stuffing from the neck cavity and found this little bag with all the innards in it at the bottom of the dressing!
I'd wondered why I hadn't found any innards for making the dressing!
__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #28
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
It seems that everyone has roasted a turkey with the bag of innards still in it, except for me. By the time I got around to being the one to cook a turkey myself, I had heard so many stories about it that I knew to look for it.

Once I am gone, my daughter and DIL will be eating holiday dinners in restaurants or ordering the prepared dinners you can buy at the supermarket. They are both in their mid to late 40's and neither one of them has any inkling of how to cook a turkey or ham, and have shown no interest in learning. I recently got a new SIL who is 50 and has lots of cooking experience, so I imagine she will become the designated cook when I'm gone.

These stories are hillarious! Keep it going and we can write a book. DC Disasters.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #29
Head Chef
 
Zagut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Friendship,MD.
Posts: 1,229
Years and years ago my father bought a few hundred dollars of cold cuts. (We're talking 1960's dollars.) for a party. My mother plated them up and they were all set up on the back porch for service. Well someone let our Dachshund onto the porch unattended. Needless to say she was a very happy pup and slept it off with a rather extended belly. My parents had to serve baloney in place of the other cold cuts.


Another incident was when I was young and dumb. (I'm old and dumb now) I was using a really cheap aluminum pot to boil some water. The phone rang. It was my girlfriend so we got to yapping. Well by the time I made it back to the kitchen there was no bottom left on the pot. The sides were there but absolutely no bottom. Surprised I didn't burn the place down.
__________________
Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #30
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Years and years ago my father bought a few hundred dollars of cold cuts. (We're talking 1960's dollars.) for a party. My mother plated them up and they were all set up on the back porch for service. Well someone let our Dachshund onto the porch unattended. Needless to say she was a very happy pup and slept it off with a rather extended belly. My parents had to serve baloney in place of the other cold cuts.
Sort of the same thing happened when we put a Chocolate Decadence torte out on the screened in porch to serve later. The two Doberman's found that the door to the porch was open and when it was time to serve dessert -----almost 1/2 of it was gone. Guess where? Very happy dogs were seen leaving the scene with chocolate smears on their muzzles.

(That also puts paid to the 'chocolate will kill a dog' myth. But please, don't anyone else feed chocolate to THEIR dog! )
__________________

__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kitchen

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.