Kitchen disasters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I REALLY Sghould Know Better!

Just before Christmas I bought a piece of gammon from Tesco. It was described as "a joint" and on special. Very foolishly I didn't read the description in small print on the label and missed the dreaded word "formed". Chucked it in the freezer and the other day decided I ought to get it out and use it.

The label said there was no need to soak but to be on the safe side I did what Ma used to do and brought it to the boil and threw away the water - twice. Bottle of (alcoholic) cider, onion, garlic, herbs, cloves and black peppercorns and gammon into pressure cooker as usual. When it was cooked for the time given in the Prestige book which I always use for gammon, I removed the meat. It's mesh bandage had come off and the so-called "joint" fell in several pieces and the meat was dry as sticks and tasteless. However, I had designs for the cooking liquid.

Made soup yesterday - root veg, leeks, celery, a bit of fennel, wheatberries (the last was an experiment) cooked it all up. Tasted it. Oh dear, the Mediterranean Sea tastes less salty! When blitzed the soup was very thick so I added 2 cans of tomatoes, one can of water and heated it all up. Still inedible due to salt. Added milk. Slight improvement but still seriously salty. Tried cooking a whole potato in it (another of Ma's tricks to remove saltiness - you throw the cooked potato away as it's too salty to eat). Didn't work. Loathe to throw away so will freeze it in individual batches until I am struck with inspiration. I had a portion for lunch today but know I'm going to regret it - the teapot will never be empty for the rest of the day.

Why do I do this? I know Tesco's meat is awful and there's a perfectly sound butcher in the village but I still get caught by a dubious "bargain"!

Last edited:
Mad Cook, you have my most sincere and complete sympathy.

Have also tried to rescue things...
have also gone ahead and eaten something that was not... ahem, as tasty as it should have been...
and always have suffered for it after...
and always saying to myself, "Self? when are you going to learn!"

Sometimes when you just can't get something to come out, it's best just to toss it. Chalk it up to a bad decision and read the fine print next time. As it is you've wasted other foods trying to make it right.

I had to teach myself that it's okay to toss something rather than take up freezer space and waste other ingredients on it.

I was raised waste not want not.
Many times I've choked down something that to put it politely didn't turn out as planed.
As I've aged I'm less inclined to do this.
Trying to save something I don't like is more wasteful then simply eating something else. (One of the reasons to keep hot dogs on hand.) ;)
Learn from your mistakes but don't suffer through them because of a few pennies. There are times in life to admit defeat and pay the piper. What we eat is one of those times IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom