"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #31
Master Chef

This one's been told before, but I'm sure it will be new to some.

I was at MIL's and had already established myself as a pretty good cook. So no this particular occasion, they all wanted spaghetti, with bolognaise sauce (though everyone simply called it spaghetti sauce). I cut the onion, browned the meat, grated the cheese, saute'd the mushrooms, and began to assemble the sauce. All that was left to do was season and simmer.

I reached for some garlic powder (no fresh garlic was at the house), and when I sprinkled it into the sauce, to my horror, a bunch of cinnamon sat atop my lovely sauce. I'd had wonderful tamales that had meat, raisins, and cinnamon in them, and knew that the spice was used in some curry mixtures. I tried to save it by adding raisins, and other things that I hoped would turn the sauce into something edible. You can guess the results. Yup, that sauce went into the trash. Everyone teased me about that for years, even though it was MIL that re-purposed the container without removing the garlic label. I learned to check the herb and spice bottles anytime I cooked at her home after that.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #32
Head Chef

Gads, you're all bringing back so many memories!!!

Made a huge Lasagna for 6. Of course too hot to eat right out of the oven. Placed it on the table, went to the family room to watch the last of whatever they were watching.
Ten minutes later when we arrived back to the kitchen "Duchess", our German Shepherd was standing in the middle of the table just finishing up the lasagna. She must have burnt her mouth but she ate the whole thing. Needless to say we had peanut butter, canned soup and salad for supper. I was pretty upset, as you know, lasagna is not a cheap meal to put together and with 4 kids it was not something we did often.

One night we had 8 people over for a fondue evening. Beef fondue, then a chocolate. Whew ! what an evening that was! After the clean up there was just one pot that I had put all the oil in, had 2 pots going with that many people, so this pot was really full. I was leaving it til morning to take care of. The guests were gone, checked on the kids, went around turning off lights and.... in the kitchen again, on the table German Shepherd (different one) was just finishing off the entire pot of oil.
We were afraid to go to bed - didn't know what would happen! Well, we decided there was really nothing else to do so off we went to bed. Two hours later my husband and I shot straight up and out of the bed as the dog let out this horrendous blatting blast. AND it was nothing, just wind... was truly expecting to see the walls and ceiling covered.

Another year the kids & I spent days and days making decorations for the tree. I had a recipe for making stained glass window cookies using Life Savers for the stained glass. Took me a long time to finally find and get all the colours I needed, seemed Life Savers didn't come in as many flavours/colours anymore. But they were beautiful and well worth the effort. then we popped corn and made caramel balls and strung garlands as well. Don't remember what else we made but the whole tree was completely covered and gorgeous. And we were so proud we had made everything (ok, not the lights).

Got up the next morning .... dogs had pushed over the tree and eaten everything.... sigh.....

Old 03-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Enjoying these stories!

The fondue one reminds me of the time we were invited to a friend's house for dinner. The house was brand new and gorgeous, with expensive hardwood floors. We had fondue. I was helping to clean up, and went to bring the fondue pot to the kitchen. It had a loose handle, and it rotated and flipped the whole pot of oil onto that nice hardwood floor. Was I embarrassed! Took awhile to clean that up!
Old 03-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post

Made a huge Lasagna for 6. Of course too hot to eat right out of the oven. Placed it on the table, went to the family room to watch the last of whatever they were watching.
Ten minutes later when we arrived back to the kitchen "Duchess", our German Shepherd was standing in the middle of the table just finishing up the lasagna. She must have burnt her mouth but she ate the whole thing. Needless to say we had peanut butter, canned soup and salad for supper. I was pretty upset, as you know, lasagna is not a cheap meal to put together and with 4 kids it was not something we did often.

One night we had 8 people over for a fondue evening. Beef fondue, then a chocolate. Whew ! what an evening that was! After the clean up there was just one pot that I had put all the oil in, had 2 pots going with that many people, so this pot was really full. I was leaving it til morning to take care of. The guests were gone, checked on the kids, went around turning off lights and.... in the kitchen again, on the table German Shepherd (different one) was just finishing off the entire pot of oil.
We were afraid to go to bed - didn't know what would happen! Well, we decided there was really nothing else to do so off we went to bed. Two hours later my husband and I shot straight up and out of the bed as the dog let out this horrendous blatting blast. AND it was nothing, just wind... was truly expecting to see the walls and ceiling covered.

Another year the kids & I spent days and days making decorations for the tree. I had a recipe for making stained glass window cookies using Life Savers for the stained glass. Took me a long time to finally find and get all the colours I needed, seemed Life Savers didn't come in as many flavours/colours anymore. But they were beautiful and well worth the effort. then we popped corn and made caramel balls and strung garlands as well. Don't remember what else we made but the whole tree was completely covered and gorgeous. And we were so proud we had made everything (ok, not the lights).

Got up the next morning .... dogs had pushed over the tree and eaten everything.... sigh.....
These aren't kitchen disasters, they're dog disasters!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post

Have you ever thought about replacing those German Shepherds with pet rocks? They never get sick, don't need to be fed, never jump in the table, and can be used as Christmas decorations, instead of eating them. If they're large enough, they can even guard your home. When someone unwanted bursts in, you hold your pet rock in hand, and wave it menacingly at the.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:13 AM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
...Guess where? Very happy dogs were seen leaving the scene with chocolate smears on their muzzles.

(That also puts paid to the 'chocolate will kill a dog' myth. But please, don't anyone else feed chocolate to THEIR dog! )
My Aunt-who-lived-with-us would buy molded chocolates from a co-worker every year for Easter. She loved to put the plastic grass on our low coffee table, arrange the bunnies and chicks and crosses just so. The dog never bothered with it...until one year. Came home to very little chocolate, one happy Springer Spaniel mix...and my Dad figuring he now had a use for the door he removed from the doorway between dining room and interior hallway when we first moved into the house. Cut in half, topped with a nicely finished and tapered 1x3, a few hinges...and we could still see from the front of the house to the back, but we could keep Buttons out of the dining and living rooms when we were gone.

BTW, that happened somewhere around 1960. Buttons died in 1969 at the ripe old age of 15 1/2, so I guess chocolate didn't bother her either. She also liked to share my ice cream in the summer - with no ill effects. I guess only some dogs are lactose intolerant.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #37
Head Chef

Talking Chocolate & Dogs

Com'on guys, you gotta put it in perspective.

size of dog, type of chocolate, quantity.
A lot of Easter candy is milk chocolate and is less toxic. Although dark is becoming more popular. According to one source...

"It would take 20 ounces of milk chocolate to kill a 20-pound dog, but only 2 ounces of baker's chocolate or 6 ounces of semisweet chocolate."

"The first signs of theobromine poisoning are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and increased urination. These can progress to cardiac arrhythmias, epileptic seizures, internal bleeding, heart attacks, and eventually death."

But putting all the drama aside, as you can see from some of the posts not every ingested chip is going to cause poisoning! I think all of our dogs have snatched up a chocolate bar sometime with no obvious ill effects.

Now I do eat solid chocolate bars but I also like Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and I doubt the peanut butter is going to hurt them. Weight for weight is there more chocolate or peanut butter in them???? who knows!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:39 AM   #38
Head Chef

which has suddenly reminded me that yes, one of my dogs did have a reaction to chocolate.

I believe she went to visit a resting bike club group down on the corner and they must have fed her something.

A while later she vomited what seemed like a huge amount of semi liquid which smelled only of chocolate!
Old 03-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Dad was stationed on Guam and we lived in base housing. Dad's CO loved to fish, but didn't cook, so he brought his catch to us and then stayed for dinner (he was fun, the only babysitter we girls liked). One day he caught a barracuda and brought it over. We must have been gone, so he set it on the air conditioner. Later he called and told Dad where the fish was and Dad brought it in.

Mom cooked it the next night, problem was, that fish had sat out all day on top of an air conditioner in tropical heat. The CO ate it joyfully, but I can still taste and smell "rotten motorcooler"(I was 4 years old) to this day. Anytime I see a barracuda on TV or even talk/think (like now) about it I get that taste and smell memory.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #40
Senior Cook

I guess forgetting to put the top on the blender and
forgetting to put the coffee pot back under the coffee maker
are common mistakes.
All too common for me.

Tags
kitchen