"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I have a lot of bench space, it drives me spare when someone uses clean space, and moves on without cleaning.

Old 09-03-2006, 08:43 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I'm with Blackwell, I think. I don't like ANYONE to get in my way in the kitchen, except my wife, who knows when to move. If someone wants to help, they can read the directions to me when I ask.

I'm a clean-as-you-go cook, and I'm careful about sanitation (as I've said a couple of times recently, I've had food poisoning three times, and it ain't fun). So, what REALLY bugs me is to go to someone's house for dinner and find a mess in the kitchen. I vividly recall one dinner at our very close friends' house where there was a dried-out, crusty sauce in a pan on the stove that had been made several hours earlier, which was for our dinner -- yuck! They also had a couple of cats, which were allowed not only on the kitchen counter, but got on the dining room table, walking across the plates and even lying down on them! Holy c***! I wanted to PUKE! Fortunately, they served me a lot of wine before dinner.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #13
Head Chef

FryBoy, that is just gross. I have cats and would never think of allowing them on the kitchen worktop or table. What can they be thinking of??!! Have you been round for dinner since?

Anyway, I have two pet hates: when my partner opens the fridge and keeps it open for ages while he decides does he want a beer or not; and when he's had so many beers (it happens very occasionally) that he forgets to use a chopping board to cut bread to make himself a late night sandwich. One of our wooden tables in the kitchen has some nasty score marks on it now.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
Hubby unloading the dish washer and throwing stuff where ever. I usually set pots with their lids in the cabinet, hubby just bunches them all together. Tupperware is just tossed into the cabinet. He can't load the dish washer either!!!

Not wiping down the stove, I prefer to clean up after each meal.

Leaving fridge open
That reminds me of the time the Paul emptied the dishwasher for me...

I was sicker than a dog and slept for most of the weekend. He came in the bedroom so proud of himself. "I empied the dishwasher for you honey" He really was so happy that he'd done something for me.

I got up the next day and yes... he'd emptied it all right. All the dishes were sitting on the cupboard. lol.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:20 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
That reminds me of the time the Paul emptied the dishwasher for me...

I was sicker than a dog and slept for most of the weekend. He came in the bedroom so proud of himself. "I empied the dishwasher for you honey" He really was so happy that he'd done something for me.

I got up the next day and yes... he'd emptied it all right. All the dishes were sitting on the cupboard. lol.
Awe, he tried tho!!! That is what I keep trying to remind myself.... he tired, it is better than not doing nothing at all????? Welllllll...........
Old 09-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
FryBoy, that is just gross. I have cats and would never think of allowing them on the kitchen worktop or table. What can they be thinking of??!! Have you been round for dinner since?

Anyway, I have two pet hates: when my partner opens the fridge and keeps it open for ages while he decides does he want a beer or not; and when he's had so many beers (it happens very occasionally) that he forgets to use a chopping board to cut bread to make himself a late night sandwich. One of our wooden tables in the kitchen has some nasty score marks on it now.
that makes me bring up another pet peeve.... people who use your precious $100 knives to cut on other surfaces other than a cutting board, or better yet, using them as can openers or screwdrivers!!! AAAAAHHH !!!! makes me wanna cry!!!!
Old 09-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #17
Head Chef

People helping in the kitchen that put the meat or veggies in a pan and then I have to remove it so I can heat the oil up.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:18 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

it makes me crazy when someone leaves my cutting board or knives dirty on the counter, or worse, piled up with all of the dirty dishes in the sink, just soaking in all of that oily dishwater.

another one is a crowded kitchen when i'm cooking. my wife has learned to stay out of the way or risk getting stepped on or elbowed as i move quickly around, not always looking where i'm going. i know my kitchen, so i probably could cook blindfolded.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:13 AM   #19
Head Chef

I absolutely detest it when somebody fries something in my kitchen without turning on the exhaust fan on the range hood. I cannot stand the smell of frying food wafting through the house.

Also, when I dine at other people's houses and they serve salad where the salad dressing has separated, indicating wrong or careless way of preparing.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:50 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
My only other that really ticks me off to no end, when my boys empty out the dish washer and don't put things where they belong so that I can't find it when I need it!!!! ARGH!!!!
dh does this too. Funny thing is he knows where to find everything but when he's putting things away everything ends up in wierd places.

Something that's been bugging me lately is that not only is dh not cleaning up after himself but he's foregoing the simplest things. Yesterday I was doing the dishes and he had brought a spoon over. Instead of putting it in the open dishwasher he came and set it next to the sink. Today he used the last of the milk, left the container on the counter then went outside and stood right next to the recycling bin.

Another peeve is not rinsing the dishes before putting them in the dw. If you don't rinse everything comes out scuzzy and grainy. Then I have to scrub them all and wash them again. Needless to say, I don't let anyone do the dishes but me.

Cluttered kitchen, me too. I don't like it when I'm working and somebody comes and puts something right in my way, then walks away from it.