"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #31
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
Another thing I find extremely irritating is when someone automatically salts their food without tasting it first. I have no sympathy for them if they ruin their food.

Yes... I hate that too!
My father in law does it all the time. What can ya do though?
Yep that is one of mine too!!! Drives me crazy. Makes me want to make something right on the verge of being too salty so when they automatically add salt it will taste horrible.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:40 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

I enjoy chatting with friends as I cook, but, I hate it when someone takes it upon themselves to adjust the heat of the cook unit for me..My m-i-l use to do that all the time and she really got me good. I was using a pressure cooker for the second time and I don't remember what she did but when I lifted the pot and went to remove the lid, it blew in the air and hot water came pouring all over me..Haven't used on since!!! I simply adore it when I find empty soda cans,milk cartons and such in the refrigerator..And I'm working on designing a gold medal for hubby and his helpful comments on what I'm doing wrong or if I did it this way or my favorite, but my mother never...I love our sunday dinners, but, could just cry everytime I find one of my knives (the sharp ones I hide) shoved in the dishwasher along with other utensils. How the heck they find them is beyond me. Please, don't load my dishwasher or wash my good dinning room table with a scouring pad!!! If you really have to have ketchup, could you please use it on hot dogs or hamburgers and not on filets and mushrooms????? Please!!!!
Just come visit, help a little if you want, enjoy a meal with us, laugh, talk, and go home and look forward to another time...

kadesma

Old 09-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

(for HH)
cleaning the kitchen also means wiping off the stove and counters
(for daughter)
loading the dishwasher means putting cup-shaped items in such that water drains OUT and not INTO them.
(for other cooks)
don't say you aren't going to share that recipe. You're not that good.
(for self)
turn the oven off after you have used it.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:55 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Finding dirty dishes or utensils in the sink...and an empty dishwasher 4 feet away.

Not being able to close a cabinet door all the way because something is sticking out half an inch.

Having a service for 8 everyday flatware set...and always being short teaspoons within 4 months of having the set.

Getting canned tuna water all over the place when the electric can opener cycle finishes.

Running the same thing through the dishwasher 8 times and it never gets completely clean...and just not wanting to wash it by hand.

Having 5 eggs and needing 6.

Having to put the english muffin in the toaster a second time, and then it's too much.

My biggest pet peeve is the fact that I make my living as an executive chef and my personal kitchen is barely larger than a postage stamp. It's just not fair.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:58 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I hate it was someone takes some water from the fridge and puts the container back with just a dribble left. Fill up the darn thing so the next person has something to pour into their cup please.
GB, when did my son move into your house??
Old 09-04-2006, 04:59 PM   #36
Everymom

People not believing me when I say its under control, just sit and chat with me.

Dishwasher ugliness (such as you have all described so well)

Slipping on water dripped all over the floor when kids unload dishwasher.

Pouring a glass of water, drinking half of it and coming back to find the glass has been put in the dishwasher!

Someone using metal knives in my good baking pans.

OH YES...the empty bottles/cartons whatever put back in the fridge. ARGH.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Finding a one-inch square of something back in the fridge in the 9 x 13 pan.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:32 PM   #38
Executive Chef

After reading many of these I started to wonder what my mother would have put as her peeves with me when I was growing up. I remember once when I was supposed to be helping my sister with the dishes (we didn't have a dw back then) I went to the bathroom with a book and stayed til my sister did all the washing and drying. Another time I was going somewhere and it was my turn to do dishes. We finished dinner too late for me to do the dishes (my thinking, not mom's). I put them in the oven dirty. My mother was livid. I'm probably the only person who ever did such dastardly deeds to her mother.I have apologized to her.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:57 PM   #39
Executive Chef

When I go to my job in Texas[A private family] it's fast paced for me as I cook[I do the cooking all myself with a helper to serve and help clean up] the entire weekend for 14-18 people.It's gets really crowded in the kitchen when their guests sit across from me while Im trying to get the meal together at once.I will have one of my bosses run them out of the kitchen if Im really in the weeds.The other rule is nobody behind the island where I cook.I have too much going on at once and will not let guests or worse children get in my way.For the most part it's only in the last 30 minutes before Im ready to serve.As for the kids I have hot oil and boiling water for pasta or whatever Im doing it's too dangerous for them.
Oh Ya!And everything thing else everybody else has said.
Sounds like Im an awful person but actually Im very diplomatic.
Ive been working in Texas the last 10 years and they understand completley as the meals I make there are very expensive to make ,no room to screw up.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:04 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
When I go to my job in Texas[A private family] it's fast paced for me as I cook[I do the cooking all myself with a helper to serve and help clean up] the entire weekend for 14-18 people.It's gets really crowded in the kitchen when their guests sit across from me while Im trying to get the meal together at once.I will have one of my bosses run them out of the kitchen if Im really in the weeds.The other rule is nobody behind the island where I cook.I have too much going on at once and will not let guests or worse children get in my way.For the most part it's only in the last 30 minutes before Im ready to serve.As for the kids I have hot oil and boiling water for pasta or whatever Im doing it's too dangerous for them.
Oh Ya!And everything thing else everybody else has said.
Sounds like Im an awful person but actually Im very diplomatic.
Ive been working in Texas the last 10 years and they understand completley as the meals I make there are very expensive to make ,no room to screw up.
You don't sound awful to me, you're cooking for these people, you're not the entertainment!!! Nor the baby sitter..Much as I love my little ones they get run out of the kitchen unless they sit at the table to chat with me when things are really going in the kitchen.

kadesma