"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Thank Kades!I prep 2 days thursday and part of friday which is also the first dinner in advance to pull off this job, it's alot of work as I do most of the shopping 3-4 carts at the only decent store 60 miles away.My boss will bring the best meats and seafood and what ever else I need from from Houston where they live during the week. I do that on wednesday,tuesday I write out my grocery list and prep list.Monday I make my menus. Friday dinner,saturday breakfast at 5:00Am not much involved with those,lunch usually a cook out,saturday dinner,sunday another early breakfast as some of the guest like to hunt on this ranch and then brunch at 10:30 am.After that they all go home and I collapse with a bottle of wine.WHEW!

Old 09-05-2006, 01:39 AM   #42
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
(for other cooks)
don't say you aren't going to share that recipe. You're not that good.
this one is classic!!! some people, not having the heart to actually say this, will actually give you a messed-up recipe or leave out essential ingredients so that you can never replicate it.... i just dont get it, how can people acyually do that?!

the salting the food without even tasting it is a big one in my book, gonna start hiding the shaker and saying "im all out of salt"

Old 09-05-2006, 02:40 AM   #43
Executive Chef

hmm
After being gone all day, I came home to a sink full of dishes. Not that it bothered me so much, if dh did the dishes I'd just have to redo them. Washing away, I find at the bottom of the sink a plate with a half eaten soggy pancake and a very gross soggy papertowel. blegh!
Old 09-05-2006, 02:53 AM   #44
Executive Chef

If I was ever tempted to leave an ingredient out of a recipe, it would be to my sil. Everything I made, she would ask for the recipe, then tell me how much better hers was, and she usually picked an audience to do that. I started just telling her where I got the recipe and if she wanted to find it, ok, if not, ok too. I must be a different sort of person, I would never do anything like that to anyone. If my dish turns out better than theirs, it is my secret.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:07 AM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
Everything I made, she would ask for the recipe, then tell me how much better hers was, and she usually picked an audience to do that.
I can't stand people like that!
Old 09-05-2006, 06:07 AM   #46
Head Chef

My mother has a secret cheescake recipe. It is wonderful, so good, but she says I can't have the recipe until she can't cook it any more! But my moral dilema is what to do when someone else has shared a secret recip...I would be willing to share but seems tough on the first guy! (I already have people asking for that cheesecake recipe, I just laugh and say I can share it after she has died!). Its the only one she won't share, so I dread to think what is in it that makes it so good!
Old 09-05-2006, 06:12 AM   #47
Executive Chef

If you want to spend the money, you could have it analyzed by a chemist. I don't know how much that would help, but it would tell what the ingredients are. I don't know why people like to keep their recipes secret, but I've seen a few who do so.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I welcome any and all help in the kitchen - just don't tell me how to do it Don't tell me I don't have to heat the pan then put in the oil to heat then add the chicken pieces, I can do that all at one time (no you can't - well you can but....) - and don't tell me I need to add butter to my pasta while it cooks . And don't tell me this dish would be really good wtih blah blah blah in it - yes it would be but then it wouldn't be what I was making! lol

And the last person to show up is always the first person to leave (like RIGHT after we eat) and that ticks me off because I know why this person does this. It's a tacky way not to help - she just doesn't know yet that I wouldn't ask her to help anyway! OK, I better quit - I thought I was pretty easy-going but..........

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:24 AM   #49
Master Chef

For those commenting on people who ask for your recipe, then abuse the priveledge, you can just do as I do ... I don't have an exact recipe for much of anything, and that's what I tell people. Hubby calls me the "never the same twice" cook. Anyway, the point is, tell them you don't have a recipe for it. If it is someone you truly like and WANT to share, invite them for a cooking session together. Everyone else gets, "I'm not sure, I just eye-ball it."
Old 09-14-2006, 06:37 AM   #50
Master Chef

Boy, I guess I'm lucky. I love having friends and family in the kitchen and haven't had all these problems. The one we do have, and it is so minor as to be negligeable, is that we do not have a dishwasher (we've owned several and they were more trouble than they were worth), so often our guests take over and do the dishes. Then we have to wash them all over again once the guests are out of sight. I am NOT a meticulous housekeeper, and neither is hubby. But people who are used to dishwashers I guess just look the other way and don't seem to realize that certain things actually requite HOT water and DETERGENT. Until we figured out to just make sure we wash it ourselves, we were finding lipstick on the glasses in the cabinet (I don't wear lipstick!), etc. But you know, I can't even really call it a pet peeve, because they're trying to help and aren't being critical, and who cares if they do what I call the pre-rinse cycle?