"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-14-2006, 08:14 AM   #51
Master Chef

Boils down to 2 things--some people want help and some don't---if you happen to live with one of these people find out what they want and do it their way to keep peace. Keeping peace is the key to a long life, marriage, partnership, family dynamics. It's not worth the drama. Of course, they have to reciprocate in areas outside the kitchen. As for guests--if you don't want them interfering in your kitchen give them a space to retreat to and something to eat or do and make them sit down and not move. Smile!!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2008, 10:48 AM   #52
Master Chef

Ever since hubby retired he has been underfoot in the kitchen . When I am cooking or baking , he is either at the sink or at the coffee maker, just plain getting in my way. It irks me to no end !

Old 02-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
Ever since hubby retired he has been underfoot in the kitchen . When I am cooking or baking , he is either at the sink or at the coffee maker, just plain getting in my way. It irks me to no end !
Hi Ladycook,
been there and still doing that! Just wait til he decides to ask questions like,are you sure that's the way to roll that? or the constant why's, Why are you using that knife, spoon, temp on the oven? It just gets better with time..Unless, you find a way to get them out and busy..Sending them to the store works pretty well, but some outside job that involves paint or hammer and nails is the best..Or, you hand them the apron and say go to it, leave the room and take a nice long bubble bath behind LOCKED doors with ear plugs.Or even better, hit the Mall
kadesma
Old 02-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I hate hate hate when I get all the dishes done. Leave for a few hours and idiot has EVERY dish in the kitchen dirtied up again !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
hmm
After being gone all day, I came home to a sink full of dishes. Not that it bothered me so much, if dh did the dishes I'd just have to redo them. Washing away, I find at the bottom of the sink a plate with a half eaten soggy pancake and a very gross soggy papertowel. blegh!
I go along with that, finding soggy bits of food in the washing up is horrid. I also hate the dishwahing brush and wire wool being left in the water when someone else has finished.

Top of the trees is when I'm cooking and DW just has to come in and start stirring things without checking what I am doing or if I have just stirred it. It's my cooking - if I want help I will ask!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I hate cleaning my kitchen after dinner on Friday night and coming home Saturday after work to looking like I never touched it...... only to be notified we are having visitors in a few minutes!!!!!
I can't start with a messy kitchen, full dishwasher or sink.
I hate having to stop working on stuff to settle my kids down. But that wont go away until they do!!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #57
Executive Chef

I hate to admit it, but I have quite a list of kitchen pet peeves. Probably the one that really bothers me most is when ANYONE who is not helping in the kitchen comes to the kitchen sink to wash their hands. If I ever get artistic, I will paint a sign to that effect and post it nearby. I've started saying when they come in, "if you wash your hands in that sink, you MUST take a job in the kitchen. The kids like it - the adults don't. Dh has really been underfoot more lately than usual. Our family room backs right up to the kitchen and he has had a cold and sinus problems so not feeling well, he isn't up to doing a lot (especially in the house). He did clean the pool today. Air temp 82, water temp about 1/2 that. So he is snoozing again for about the 20th time today.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #58
Assistant Cook

Worst for me is people who prep food without washing their hands! I don't mind offers of help from a guest but can never think of a diplomatic way to ask them to wash their hands, what do you say to a visiting adult who wants to tear up lettuce for the salad but has just been petting the cat? "Would you like to wash first?" can seem rude, and I've actually had the reply, "No, my hands are clean enough." I'm surprised at how many people don't seem to find it necessary! I've been in the same situation in other people's homes with a host or hostess who takes time out from preparing a meal to change a baby or fuss with a dog before carrying on with the food, or worse makes a quick trip to the bathroom, flushing but obviously not taking the time to wash. Ewwwwww!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Hi Ladycook,
been there and still doing that! Just wait til he decides to ask questions like,are you sure that's the way to roll that? or the constant why's, Why are you using that knife, spoon, temp on the oven? It just gets better with time..Unless, you find a way to get them out and busy..Sending them to the store works pretty well, but some outside job that involves paint or hammer and nails is the best..Or, you hand them the apron and say go to it, leave the room and take a nice long bubble bath behind LOCKED doors with ear plugs.Or even better, hit the Mall
kadesma
I have sent him to the store , when I supposely need a few ingredients.
Oh yes I have gotten the *whys* ugh!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirl View Post
Worst for me is people who prep food without washing their hands! I don't mind offers of help from a guest but can never think of a diplomatic way to ask them to wash their hands, what do you say to a visiting adult who wants to tear up lettuce for the salad but has just been petting the cat? "Would you like to wash first?" can seem rude, and I've actually had the reply, "No, my hands are clean enough." I'm surprised at how many people don't seem to find it necessary! I've been in the same situation in other people's homes with a host or hostess who takes time out from preparing a meal to change a baby or fuss with a dog before carrying on with the food, or worse makes a quick trip to the bathroom, flushing but obviously not taking the time to wash. Ewwwwww!
I can relate to that , I am constantly telling hubby to wash his hands before handling any food period !! I know his disgusting habits. Once he reached for ice cubes directly from the ice maker inside the freezer instead of just using the the ice maker in the door. I got so mad and emptied the whole ice bucket. He was offended but too bad.