"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

on one side of the stove are spices, salts etc.. in baskets separated by type so I don't have to dig to the back of the cabinet looking for something. on the other some pyrex measuring cups, and small cutting boards, not much really.

I have a small pantry in the kitchen for snacks, cereal and baking ingredients, and a larger pantry (converted coat closet) for all of my pots, pans, bakeware, bowls, casseroles, small appliances, and some foods like canned tomatoes, rice, couscous,pasta and good deals that I have stocked up on.

I actually have very little in the kitchen cabinets, I hate having to dig around a cabinet looking for things.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I have a wall-mounted 1/2 circle pot rack haning next to my stove that I keep all my skillets (except CI) hanging from. I keep all my food stuffs in a pantry. I use the small cupboard over the stove/range hood to store my food storage containers ans lids since I have been known to be a klutz and drop things on the stove when I used to keep oils and other food stuff up there.

My kitchen is small enough that nothing is more than 3 steps away so it is not a problem for me to use a pantry.
LOL sounds like my kitchen. I put food storage containers over the stove, one because I now had a glass top stove and two, I was sick of bouncing oil and vinegar bottles off my head!

Old 10-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #13
Master Chef

I have two upper cabinets on each side of the stove. On the right side I keep all of my spices on two double decker lazy susans, and I have single decker lazy susans on the other side for cooking oils and sauces. On the top shelf of that cabinet I have a basket that holds all those pesky envelopes and mixes that make such a mess, and are so hard to store. It's easy to take the basket down, and find what's needed. The cabinet above the stove hood I store my colanders, strainers and silicone steamer. I'm lucky to have a bottom drawer in my stove, there you will find the broiler pan and as of yesterday, my brand new Stovetop Smoker.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #14
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
LOL sounds like my kitchen. I put food storage containers over the stove, one because I now had a glass top stove and two, I was sick of bouncing oil and vinegar bottles off my head!
Exactly. I moved everything after I lost a whole meal. I was grabbing a bottle of Gravy Master, out of the cupboard over the stove, to finish off a stew and dropped the bottle. It fell and hit the side of the dutch oven and broke with glass going all over and into the stew.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Exactly. I moved everything after I lost a whole meal. I was grabbing a bottle of Gravy Master, out of the cupboard over the stove, to finish off a stew and dropped the bottle. It fell and hit the side of the dutch oven and broke with glass going all over and into the stew.
Oh, man...what a mess. That sounds like something I would do.

Don't forget, spices are supposed to be kept in a cool dark place. Close to the stove would not be ideal. I wouldn't keep anything flammable there, either. Things like baking sheets, cake pans, colanders and measuring cups would be my pick.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Don't forget, spices are supposed to be kept in a cool dark place. .

My mother used to keep her spices in a drawer. I may do that. If I have enough drawers in the kitchen. I never did count them.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #17
Cook

I don't keep food in cupboards. I store all food on pantry shelves where they're easier to see and rotate. (I think this attitude comes from having spent years in commercial kitchens).

I like having spatulas, slotted spoons, and tongs by the stove.

I keep tasting spoons in a drawer by the stove and serving platters, dinner plates, and soup bowls in nearby cabinets.

With regards to your kitchen, I think you need to set it up the way you want to use it. As you may have gathered from responses, everyone has a different idea about what works for them. You need to think about what works for you.

Kudos on having a big country kitchen.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:02 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

If you have a drawer for utensils put them in so that the business end is toward the front. It took me years to get tired of always pulling out things to see the "business" end, or reaching inside to feel for it and maybe hurting myself before I realized the important part was being hidden in the back. I turned all of them around and had no problem finding what I want. Of course, now I use a large bamboo container on the countertop to keep them visible and handy. It looks like a kind of bouquet and doesn't take up much room.

Take a guess at your arrangement and start to cook. As you settle into your kitchen, it will become more obvious where things go best and you can make adjustments then.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote