Kitchen tricks your spouse is unaware of!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh, how funny, rahundi! I hope that he didn't tell his mother.........

No of course he didn't tell his mother but I am very fortunate that all my inlaws (including my mother-in-law) prefer dishes prepared by me than themselves.

They don't know the secret :ROFLMAO:

I have to come clean here, and place myself firmly into the ranks of picky eaters we are discussing. I hate onions. Hang on tight here though, i cook with them on a daily basisi, and my favorite snack food is onion rings. I know I know, don't ask. :LOL:
My DW swears to the "fact" that sour cream is disgusting. I use it quite a bit in my cooking and have taken to buying it, and putting it in old cottage cheese containers, and ditching the original container, cottage cheese is another one of her least favorite things. With her it's all about texture. Most foods she won't eat (or won't eat voluntarily ;)) are on the list because of texture. Beans are victim number one one THIS list. The rest of her 'dislikes' I have discovered are things that aren't so pretty on the shelf, and she's never actually tried them. I simply stopped asking if she liked things because when I did, she'd say "no" until i realized that in DW-speak, that meant "I've never had it, but it's ugly" artichokes come to mind here.
Her DS is another story all together. He hates everything. Except my cooking. Easiest trick in the book here, I simply dragged him into the kitchen with me, and let him cook. He at the ripe old, well wisened age of 11 had never been in a kitchen. Now, as long as HE is acting as my sous (he hates it when i call him 'a boy named sous') he will eat anything.

No of course he didn't tell his mother but I am very fortunate that all my inlaws (including my mother-in-law) prefer dishes prepared by me than themselves.

They don't know the secret :ROFLMAO:

It is funny you should mention this, my wife took to adding a little sugar to the Thai dishes she would prepare, along with some others as well. She said it helped infuse the flavors better. I don't know, but I know I liked the better after she started doing it!:)

Interesting. An entire thread discussing how you all deceive your dearest loved ones...

SO tells me make whatever you want. Just don't tell me what's in it...

My biggest challenge was in the 1960s when I was married to my first husband. He didn't dislike onions. He actively HATED them! So many savory dishes begin with, "saute an onion..." I tried every trick I could think of. Minced the onions so small they were practically microscopic. No go. Tried onion powder. Zip there, too. Even bombed out using bottle onion juice. I finally gave up. However, a few years later the problem was solved when we divorced.

The only other "picky" challenge I encountered was getting our children to eat cooked spinach. I solved that when I, gradually, substituted chopped broccoli for frozen chopped spinach in recipes. Then, I began to reintroduce the spinach gradually. Before long, they were eating spinach with no complaints.

I'm fortunate in that Buck will eat anything I prepare. There's not much either one of us won't eat, so my cooking repertoire is vast and varied. Woo, whoo! It's always fun to find something new that both of us enjoy.

Corn and coriander

DH will not eat coriander and corn. Although DH friend bbq'd corn on cob a couple of months ago and then swamped in herbed butter and he ate it and loved it. I think you would have heard me scream in the North Pole. Coriander, I took to buying dried coriander because he would not let me grow it and often put it in stir fries etc and he does not know the difference.

I am not a great fan of tomato but will eat it if put in front of me. I look at it this way, there are so many ways now of preparing foods that you don't know until you try.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom