"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #11
Sous Chef

We don't need a/c here...however one thing I learnt when we were in Australia, was to keep medicines in the fridge, especially any creams. If it does hot up here, we usually turn the cooker hood extractor on & just open the windows all over the house to try & get a breeze through.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #12
Master Chef

MexicoKaren, that is part of our "problem" -- the house is 160 years old and retrofitting these homes with central air is prohibitive and mucho ugly. So we have a window unit in the downstairs room where we spend most of our time, one in our bedroom for sleeping comfort, and one to pop into the guest room when we, well, have guests (most people know to come in spring or fall which are the prettiest times anyway).

But I like being able to see out of my windows!

One of my lifesavers are near east brand couscous and taboule. As others have said, I boil the kettle first thing in the morning, pour on the water, and put in the fridge. At dinner time I add the vegetables and herbs, and if we want the couscous hot, I nuke it.

Pre cooking things that I cook on the stove in the microwave oven is a trick I learned when we were on the road in a trailer. Potatoes in particular take to this very well. Whether I'm going to put them on the grill or fry them I put them in the microwave oven until they are almost cooked. Then I can fry or grill them for the right texture and flavor without the time and heat (that's also how I bake potatoes to cut down on baking time year 'round: in the nuculator until almost through, then pop in the oven to get the baked flavor and crisp skin)

I rarely use the oven in the summer, but if I need to, I do baking and long-simmering dishes early in the a.m. (being an insomniac helps), then refridgerate and nuke at dinner time.

I cook pasta or rice in the early hours, toss with some oil, refridgerate, then make pasta or rice salad for dinner.

There are only two of us, so when we fire up the grill I make the most of the coals and cook enough meat and veggies for several meals. That lovely flavor in the meat makes it ideal to use in salads throughout the week.

My husband is a soup fanatic. He'd eat soup for three meals a day, year 'round. SO we start the season with our (albeit small) freezer stacked to the top with home made soups, stews, chili. So he can nuke himself a very home-made meal any time.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
Head Chef

Claire, those are all good ideas, and I do many of the same things. I wish my DH would eat soup year around! It is truly one of the best and easiest things to cook, anytime. One of my best strategies is this: I can set the toaster oven outside on the patio and use it there, bypassing the kitchen entirely.I am roasting a small beef eye of round in the toaster oven this morning. We'll slice it for lunch sandwiches and more cold slices for dinner with cheese, hard cooked eggs, other cold cuts, etc.

The responses to this thread have impressed me with what an affluent society the US is! So many comments about the "necessity" for air conditioning....I live in climate that is purely tropical. It never gets below 55-60F, anytime of year, so there is never a need for heat, EVER. A very small % of people here (mostly foreigners) have AC. Our northern friends who live here solely in the winter (snowbirds), are often aghast when we tell them we live here year around...I just point to the several thousand Mexican people who call this lovely little town home...see, we're not the only ones! It is all a matter of perspective.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Karen - If it makes you feel better, I went the entire month of May (30'sF over night, and 50 ~ 60F during the day) without the heat turned on. Wearing a sweater, and nighttime cuddling with the cats is not such a bad thing.
:-)

Bob
Old 06-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I cook pretty much everything outside in the summer - including boiling water for pasta, even eggs. When I was little we remodeled our kitchen and it took months, so my mom discovered there is really nothing that can't be cooked on the grill. That being said, grilling can be kind of a process so I make sure to plan my meals for the week and if I'm going to have chicken twice, for example, I cook it all at once and simply reheat for the next meal.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I lived like that for 20 years; our apt now has a non working ac unit but thankfully i manage with the 2 units in the dining room that blow in.

when i did major cooking, i'd shower right after !!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasparImproved
Karen - If it makes you feel better, I went the entire month of May (30'sF over night, and 50 ~ 60F during the day) without the heat turned on.
Oh, I am so sorry!! I deal with the heat MUCH better than the cold. I just returned from a trip to cold and gray and rainy Oregon and I was cold the whole time I was there...the bright smiles of my family and friends served to warm my spirits, though.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #18
Sous Chef

But the cold shouldn't matter if you can find the right one to snuggle with

If the heat is dry, I don't mind... but if humid, even when down to your birthday suit you can still be uncomfortable. You can always put more on, but you get to a certain point you have nothing left to take off (I know about this).

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Oh, I am so sorry!! I deal with the heat MUCH better than the cold. I just returned from a trip to cold and gray and rainy Oregon and I was cold the whole time I was there...the bright smiles of my family and friends served to warm my spirits, though.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I do have a kitchen with out A/C, However with "OUT" my knowledge my mother purchased an ac unit for my apartment and called it a house warming gift, Anyways it cools the whole 600 square foot apartment down and I can cook anything I want too.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
I do have a kitchen with out A/C, However with "OUT" my knowledge my mother purchased an ac unit for my apartment and called it a house warming gift, Anyways it cools the whole 600 square foot apartment down and I can cook anything I want too.
Now *thats* a nice mom.... I hope you give her tons of love.

Bob