"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Yes, people debate that.
wow

EDIT: ok, looks like under certain specific, rare circumstances, this actually CAN happen...though anyone heating their water with the intent of freezing it is still fooling themselves

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect

Old 01-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #32
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Boy do they debate it....

dose hot water freeze faster than cold? - Topic Powered by Social Strata

Old 01-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #33
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Hey BarbaraL, maybe so. I have a tree in my back yard, they are not Hass but another variety. They take 5-7 days once picked to ripen enough to eat. IMHO, if you can't pick it from the tree and eat it right away, then it really isn't ripe. Also remember that these Associations have an agenda. They want to sell avacados.

Craig
Yes, but as illustrated by the coyote story, they apparently fall off the tree before they are soft.

No matter, whenever I have a hard avocado I say it isn't ripe yet. To me soft = ripe.

Barbara
Old 01-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Yes, but as illustrated by the coyote story, they apparently fall off the tree before they are soft.

No matter, whenever I have a hard avocado I say it isn't ripe yet. To me soft = ripe.

Barbara
I lived next to a fertile avocado tree when they were ripe. They weren't soft enough to eat until they fell off the tree.

I'd stand right there, peel and eat the one that just fell off the tree. Mmmmm, just ripe.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #35
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I lived next to a fertile avocado tree when they were ripe. They weren't soft enough to eat until they fell off the tree.

I'd stand right there, peel and eat the one that just fell off the tree. Mmmmm, just ripe.
Yeah, I've never been fortunate enough to go through an avocado grove and have to wait for them in the store. Probably the hard ones that came off were blown off by a storm? It is probably a good thing I don't have an avocado grove--I'd be twice the size I am now!

Barbara
Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
"The wife" is much better than "ole lady" which I dare my honey to say when referencing me...

Wouldn't aluminum foil scratch the finish on the inside of the dryer?
Yeah, DH doesn't say that one either!

OK, I tried the foil in the dryer thing just for you. It actually worked-no static cling. And so far...no scratches. I only dryed two loads though.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Has anyone brought up the "salt makes water boil faster" yet? I was always told that it helps the water boil faster because the addition of the solvent "activates" the water molecules yada yada yada.....

I think my father the civil engineer just knew I was bad enough at math and science that I'd never question his logic. I was actually dead certain this was true until this thread came along and I decided to look it up.

Answers.com - Does adding salt to water make it boil faster

Oops....
Old 02-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #38
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald
Has anyone brought up the "salt makes water boil faster" yet? I was always told that it helps the water boil faster because the addition of the solvent "activates" the water molecules yada yada yada.....

I think my father the civil engineer just knew I was bad enough at math and science that I'd never question his logic. I was actually dead certain this was true until this thread came along and I decided to look it up.

Answers.com - Does adding salt to water make it boil faster

Oops....
I was always told the salt makes the noodles cook faster, due to the higher temperature of the water. As the website explains, this would be true if you added enough salt to choke a horse, but with the amount of salt the average person uses in a pot of pasta, it doesn't change the temperature even one degree.

Oh, and I already knew this- my chemistry teacher told us in high school!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I was always told the salt makes the noodles cook faster, due to the higher temperature of the water. As the website explains, this would be true if you added enough salt to choke a horse, but with the amount of salt the average person uses in a pot of pasta, it doesn't change the temperature even one degree.

Oh, and I already knew this- my chemistry teacher told us in high school!
At least the salt makes the pasta taste better!
Old 02-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Yeah, I've never been fortunate enough to go through an avocado grove and have to wait for them in the store. Probably the hard ones that came off were blown off by a storm? It is probably a good thing I don't have an avocado grove--I'd be twice the size I am now!

Barbara
Barbara, the fat in avocados is really good for us. It is the other kind that we need to watch. I'd rather have mine from avocados than most other ways.

Tags
kitchen