"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #31
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Yes, people debate that.
wow

EDIT: ok, looks like under certain specific, rare circumstances, this actually CAN happen...though anyone heating their water with the intent of freezing it is still fooling themselves

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect
__________________

__________________
TheNoodleIncident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #32
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,038
Boy do they debate it....

dose hot water freeze faster than cold? - Topic Powered by Social Strata
__________________

__________________
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #33
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Hey BarbaraL, maybe so. I have a tree in my back yard, they are not Hass but another variety. They take 5-7 days once picked to ripen enough to eat. IMHO, if you can't pick it from the tree and eat it right away, then it really isn't ripe. Also remember that these Associations have an agenda. They want to sell avacados.

Craig
Yes, but as illustrated by the coyote story, they apparently fall off the tree before they are soft.

No matter, whenever I have a hard avocado I say it isn't ripe yet. To me soft = ripe.

Barbara
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Yes, but as illustrated by the coyote story, they apparently fall off the tree before they are soft.

No matter, whenever I have a hard avocado I say it isn't ripe yet. To me soft = ripe.

Barbara
I lived next to a fertile avocado tree when they were ripe. They weren't soft enough to eat until they fell off the tree.

I'd stand right there, peel and eat the one that just fell off the tree. Mmmmm, just ripe.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #35
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I lived next to a fertile avocado tree when they were ripe. They weren't soft enough to eat until they fell off the tree.

I'd stand right there, peel and eat the one that just fell off the tree. Mmmmm, just ripe.
Yeah, I've never been fortunate enough to go through an avocado grove and have to wait for them in the store. Probably the hard ones that came off were blown off by a storm? It is probably a good thing I don't have an avocado grove--I'd be twice the size I am now!

Barbara
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #36
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
"The wife" is much better than "ole lady" which I dare my honey to say when referencing me...

Wouldn't aluminum foil scratch the finish on the inside of the dryer?
Yeah, DH doesn't say that one either!

OK, I tried the foil in the dryer thing just for you. It actually worked-no static cling. And so far...no scratches. I only dryed two loads though.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #37
Senior Cook
 
cmarchibald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tarlac City, Philippines
Posts: 309
Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Has anyone brought up the "salt makes water boil faster" yet? I was always told that it helps the water boil faster because the addition of the solvent "activates" the water molecules yada yada yada.....

I think my father the civil engineer just knew I was bad enough at math and science that I'd never question his logic. I was actually dead certain this was true until this thread came along and I decided to look it up.

Answers.com - Does adding salt to water make it boil faster

Oops....
__________________
cmarchibald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #38
Sous Chef
 
Skittle68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald
Has anyone brought up the "salt makes water boil faster" yet? I was always told that it helps the water boil faster because the addition of the solvent "activates" the water molecules yada yada yada.....

I think my father the civil engineer just knew I was bad enough at math and science that I'd never question his logic. I was actually dead certain this was true until this thread came along and I decided to look it up.

Answers.com - Does adding salt to water make it boil faster

Oops....
I was always told the salt makes the noodles cook faster, due to the higher temperature of the water. As the website explains, this would be true if you added enough salt to choke a horse, but with the amount of salt the average person uses in a pot of pasta, it doesn't change the temperature even one degree.

Oh, and I already knew this- my chemistry teacher told us in high school!
__________________
Skittle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #39
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I was always told the salt makes the noodles cook faster, due to the higher temperature of the water. As the website explains, this would be true if you added enough salt to choke a horse, but with the amount of salt the average person uses in a pot of pasta, it doesn't change the temperature even one degree.

Oh, and I already knew this- my chemistry teacher told us in high school!
At least the salt makes the pasta taste better!
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #40
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 3,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Yeah, I've never been fortunate enough to go through an avocado grove and have to wait for them in the store. Probably the hard ones that came off were blown off by a storm? It is probably a good thing I don't have an avocado grove--I'd be twice the size I am now!

Barbara
Barbara, the fat in avocados is really good for us. It is the other kind that we need to watch. I'd rather have mine from avocados than most other ways.
__________________

__________________
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kitchen

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.