"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #41
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Salt wouldn't increase the temperature of the water. But one of its components will. Table salt is sodium chloride. if you fracture the molecule into its parent elements, sodium and chlorine, you get a poisonous gas, and a substance that reacts violently when it comes into contact with water, giving off copious amounts of heat and noise. And yet, if you mix sodium with the fractured elements of water molecule, hydrogen, and oxygen, under the right circumstances, you get sodium hydroxide, or lye. The world of compounds is strange indeed.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
__________________

__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #42
Sous Chef
 
Skittle68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
Salt wouldn't increase the temperature of the water. But one of its components will. Table salt is sodium chloride. if you fracture the molecule into its parent elements, sodium and chlorine, you get a poisonous gas, and a substance that reacts violently when it comes into contact with water, giving off copious amounts of heat and noise. And yet, if you mix sodium with the fractured elements of water molecule, hydrogen, and oxygen, under the right circumstances, you get sodium hydroxide, or lye. The world of compounds is strange indeed.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Actually, yes, salt can lower the freezing point of water, allowing it to get below 32 F and raise the boiling point, allowing it to get higher than 212 F.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boili...edirected=true
__________________

__________________
Skittle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #43
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,655
don't wash mushrooms, they absorb a ton of water.

Well, no they don't but... if you intend to saute them in oil or butter to get them brown, best not to get them wet first. If you are just going to toss them into a soup or stew, no problem. If you want them nice and white for a salad...don't wash either.

All depends on the purpose and use.
__________________
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #44
Head Chef
 
Josie1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sunny Central Florida
Posts: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Yes, but as illustrated by the coyote story, they apparently fall off the tree before they are soft.

No matter, whenever I have a hard avocado I say it isn't ripe yet. To me soft = ripe.

Barbara
Advacoda nectar of the Gods !!! To me soft = ripe

Josie
__________________
Practice Random Acts of Kindness ( RAK ) Makes you feel great too
Josie1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #45
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by licia View Post
Barbara, the fat in avocados is really good for us. It is the other kind that we need to watch. I'd rather have mine from avocados than most other ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
Advacoda nectar of the Gods !!! To me soft = ripe

Josie
Yes, I know it is good, but as with all things, in moderation. I could eat avocados until I am sick! I've never bought avocado oil but plan to.

Barbara
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #46
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Actually, yes, salt can lower the freezing point of water, allowing it to get below 32 F and raise the boiling point, allowing it to get higher than 212 F.

Boiling-point elevation
That is true if the concentration of salt is sufficient. I was speaking of a tbs. or so of salt mixed into a quart or more of water. Sugar also affects the boiling point of water. That's how candy is made. As for affecting the freezing point of water, the best example is probably the old fashioned ice cream makers, where rock salt was added to the water to allow it to get cold enough to freeze the ice cream.

My bad for not being clear. Sorry about that.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #47
Sous Chef
 
Skittle68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North

That is true if the concentration of salt is sufficient. I was speaking of a tbs. or so of salt mixed into a quart or more of water. Sugar also affects the boiling point of water. That's how candy is made. As for affecting the freezing point of water, the best example is probably the old fashioned ice cream makers, where rock salt was added to the water to allow it to get cold enough to freeze the ice cream.

My bad for not being clear. Sorry about that.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Lol yup, about enough salt to choke a horse, as I said in my previous post ;)
__________________
Skittle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
Ice cubes made from hot water are "clearer" than those made from cold water.
__________________
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #49
Sous Chef
 
Skittle68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
Ice cubes made from hot water are "clearer" than those made from cold water.
This is true of boiled water, because when you boil water it loses much of the dissolved gasses, which is why you are not supposed to boil water for coffee or tea. It gives it a "flat" flavor.
__________________
Skittle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #50
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
don't wash mushrooms, they absorb a ton of water.

.
They grow in/on dung, so its not like washing them is going to clean them much.
__________________

__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kitchen

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.