"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #51
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
They grow in/on dung, so its not like washing them is going to clean them much.
LOL! My son brought this up the other night while we were having sauteed mushrooms with our steak.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #52
Head Chef

Salad should be eaten before the main course. Salad should be eaten with the main course to mix with the meal aiding in digestion.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #53
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Salad should be eaten before the main course. Salad should be eaten with the main course to mix with the meal aiding in digestion.
LOL, my fiance calls salad "dessert".
Old 02-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #54
Senior Cook

After eating salty foods or the meal is somehow salty, then eat sweets to lessen the salt on your body? :D
Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #55
Executive Chef

Eat parsley after garlic to freshen your breath. It actually works! At least I think it works.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
According to information I read put out by Avocado growers, they are ripe when they come off the tree--they just aren't soft enough to eat yet.

When I lived in Vista, CA there were quite a few avocado groves around, and we often heard coyotes howling from them at night. I read that coyotes would take fallen avocados and bury them. When they were soft they would dig them up and eat them.
I have a friend who has an avocado ranch a mile from here. I hear the coyotes every night. Her ranch dog eats fallen avocados as an exclusive diet, and he's so fat he can hardly waddle. He always has green and black goo around his mouth.
If there's any left for the coyotes I'm sure they don't bury them, or Levi the dog would find them.

About kitchen wives tales...
When I married my husband, he'd cut the ends off of potatoes before baking them. I asked him why, and he said because Sally, his late wife did. He asked her why once, and she said because her mother did.
Well we still don't know why, and although I've only been married to him for three years, I cut the ends off of potatoes for baking too. It sounds goofy, but I swear the potatoes bake better.

ps......If I was ever called "the ole lady" or "the wife", he'd be kicked to the moon.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #57
Executive Chef

If you drop a knife on the floor, a man will come by for a visit!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #58
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
If you drop a knife on the floor, a man will come by for a visit!
Now we're talkin'!!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #59
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle

I have a friend who has an avocado ranch a mile from here. I hear the coyotes every night. Her ranch dog eats fallen avocados as an exclusive diet, and he's so fat he can hardly waddle. He always has green and black goo around his mouth.
If there's any left for the coyotes I'm sure they don't bury them, or Levi the dog would find them.

About kitchen wives tales...
When I married my husband, he'd cut the ends off of potatoes before baking them. I asked him why, and he said because Sally, his late wife did. He asked her why once, and she said because her mother did.
Well we still don't know why, and although I've only been married to him for three years, I cut the ends off of potatoes for baking too. It sounds goofy, but I swear the potatoes bake better.

ps......If I was ever called "the ole lady" or "the wife", he'd be kicked to the moon.
I would think cutting the ends off would dry the potato out, but what do I know? I always wrap potatoes/sweet potatoes in tinfoil and put a splash of water inside to steam them. They are always soft and moist.

And I guess I don't really see what the big deal is about someone saying, "the wife". I say, "the boyfriend" all the time lol. I choose to belong to him, so it wouldn't offend me at all
Old 02-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #60
Executive Chef

In some cultures or societies terms like 'u be da man', and 'the old man' are or were not considered pejorative.

Tags
kitchen