Kitchen "Wives tales."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would think cutting the ends off would dry the potato out, but what do I know? I always wrap potatoes/sweet potatoes in tinfoil and put a splash of water inside to steam them. They are always soft and moist.

And I guess I don't really see what the big deal is about someone saying, "the wife". I say, "the boyfriend" all the time lol. I choose to belong to him, so it wouldn't offend me at all

:mellow:I just think of those terms as too generic. I am his and he is mine, however, we became one after we married, so we don't belong to each other...we are each other. :wacko: OH my gosh...do we look alike after being married for 30 years!? :glare:

today i baked some browned butter sour cream cookies, and they are awesome! thing is, they stuck to the pan so bad, i'm having to chip and pry them away piecemeal. what a sad (but yummy) pile of cookie bits! my old wive's tale is that if your cookie dough has a lot of shortening in it, you do not need to grease your pan, nothing will stick to it. this rule has worked for me my entire life--until today, that is. cookie dough had a whole stick of butter in it--i still don't understand why that old wive's tale didn't work for me this time--live and learn, i guess....

vitauta said:
today i baked some browned butter sour cream cookies, and they are awesome! thing is, they stuck to the pan so bad, i'm having to chip and pry them away piecemeal. what a sad (but yummy) pile of cookie bits! my old wive's tale is that if your cookie dough has a lot of shortening in it, you do not need to grease your pan, nothing will stick to it. this rule has worked for me my entire life--until today, that is. cookie dough had a whole stick of butter in it--i still don't understand why that old wive's tale didn't work for me this time--live and learn, i guess....

I'm no baker, but would a Silpat mat or piece of parchment paper help, Vit? Wonder if it was the sour cream that caused the stickage. You'll have to post the recipe!

Last edited:
I'm no baker, but would a Silpat mat or piece of parchment paper help, Vit? Wonder if it was the sour cream that caused the stickage. You'll have to post the recipe!

sour cream is my guess too--that or the fact that the butter was browned in a pan before being incorporated....i probably shouldn't tell on myself like this, but truth is the recipe actually called for parchment paper to be used, and i blew it off....:(

I'm trying to read this line, but my husband saw the garlic/stainless steel bar in W-S or some such, and just tried a big stainless serving spoon. Yes, it works. He'd show it to friends when we'd have cooking parties and they'd be astonished.

Mom used to slice off the end of the cucumber, then rub the ends together until they sort of foamed, then rinse. But I really cannot remember the last time I've gotten a bitter cucumber, or for that matter, ever remember getting a bitter eggplant. I think stuff like that has been bred out (probably along with other, more acceptable flavors). For bitter cukes, what really worked for Mom was bleeding with salt, rinsing, drying, then dressing.

brown butter sour cream cookies

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup browned butter, cooled a bit
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups ap flour (sifted)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup sour cream

mix together sugar, butter, sour cream, vanilla and egg--will be very wet. incorporate dry ingredients which you have sifted into another bowl. mix well to blend, but not overly. drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets or use parchment paper. bake for 10-12 mins. in 350 oven. cookies should be brown only on the very edges. these cookies look like snickerdoodles, taste like christmas!!:)

Back
Top Bottom