Kitchen "Wives tales."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Salt wouldn't increase the temperature of the water. But one of its components will. Table salt is sodium chloride. if you fracture the molecule into its parent elements, sodium and chlorine, you get a poisonous gas, and a substance that reacts violently when it comes into contact with water, giving off copious amounts of heat and noise. And yet, if you mix sodium with the fractured elements of water molecule, hydrogen, and oxygen, under the right circumstances, you get sodium hydroxide, or lye. The world of compounds is strange indeed.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
Salt wouldn't increase the temperature of the water. But one of its components will. Table salt is sodium chloride. if you fracture the molecule into its parent elements, sodium and chlorine, you get a poisonous gas, and a substance that reacts violently when it comes into contact with water, giving off copious amounts of heat and noise. And yet, if you mix sodium with the fractured elements of water molecule, hydrogen, and oxygen, under the right circumstances, you get sodium hydroxide, or lye. The world of compounds is strange indeed.

Actually, yes, salt can lower the freezing point of water, allowing it to get below 32 F and raise the boiling point, allowing it to get higher than 212 F.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling-point_elevation?wasRedirected=true

don't wash mushrooms, they absorb a ton of water.

Well, no they don't but... if you intend to saute them in oil or butter to get them brown, best not to get them wet first. If you are just going to toss them into a soup or stew, no problem. If you want them nice and white for a salad...don't wash either.

All depends on the purpose and use.

Barbara, the fat in avocados is really good for us. It is the other kind that we need to watch. I'd rather have mine from avocados than most other ways.

Advacoda nectar of the Gods !!! To me soft = ripe:)

Josie
Yes, I know it is good, but as with all things, in moderation. I could eat avocados until I am sick! I've never bought avocado oil but plan to.

:)Barbara

Actually, yes, salt can lower the freezing point of water, allowing it to get below 32 F and raise the boiling point, allowing it to get higher than 212 F.

Boiling-point elevation

That is true if the concentration of salt is sufficient. I was speaking of a tbs. or so of salt mixed into a quart or more of water. Sugar also affects the boiling point of water. That's how candy is made. As for affecting the freezing point of water, the best example is probably the old fashioned ice cream makers, where rock salt was added to the water to allow it to get cold enough to freeze the ice cream.

My bad for not being clear.:wacko: Sorry about that.:)

Goodweed of the North said:
That is true if the concentration of salt is sufficient. I was speaking of a tbs. or so of salt mixed into a quart or more of water. Sugar also affects the boiling point of water. That's how candy is made. As for affecting the freezing point of water, the best example is probably the old fashioned ice cream makers, where rock salt was added to the water to allow it to get cold enough to freeze the ice cream.

My bad for not being clear.:wacko: Sorry about that.:)

Lol yup, about enough salt to choke a horse, as I said in my previous post ;)

CWS4322 said:
Ice cubes made from hot water are "clearer" than those made from cold water.

This is true of boiled water, because when you boil water it loses much of the dissolved gasses, which is why you are not supposed to boil water for coffee or tea. It gives it a "flat" flavor.

Salad should be eaten before the main course. Salad should be eaten with the main course to mix with the meal aiding in digestion.

Eat parsley after garlic to freshen your breath. It actually works! At least I think it works.:rolleyes:

According to information I read put out by Avocado growers, they are ripe when they come off the tree--they just aren't soft enough to eat yet. :cool:

When I lived in Vista, CA there were quite a few avocado groves around, and we often heard coyotes howling from them at night. I read that coyotes would take fallen avocados and bury them. When they were soft they would dig them up and eat them. :cool:

I have a friend who has an avocado ranch a mile from here. I hear the coyotes every night. Her ranch dog eats fallen avocados as an exclusive diet, and he's so fat he can hardly waddle. :LOL: He always has green and black goo around his mouth.
If there's any left for the coyotes I'm sure they don't bury them, or Levi the dog would find them.:huh:

About kitchen wives tales...
When I married my husband, he'd cut the ends off of potatoes before baking them. I asked him why, and he said because Sally, his late wife did. He asked her why once, and she said because her mother did.
Well we still don't know why, and although I've only been married to him for three years, I cut the ends off of potatoes for baking too. It sounds goofy, but I swear the potatoes bake better.:LOL:

ps......If I was ever called "the ole lady" or "the wife", he'd be kicked to the moon.

Last edited:
If you drop a knife on the floor, a man will come by for a visit!:D

Kayelle said:
I have a friend who has an avocado ranch a mile from here. I hear the coyotes every night. Her ranch dog eats fallen avocados as an exclusive diet, and he's so fat he can hardly waddle. :LOL: He always has green and black goo around his mouth.
If there's any left for the coyotes I'm sure they don't bury them, or Levi the dog would find them.:huh:

About kitchen wives tales...
When I married my husband, he'd cut the ends off of potatoes before baking them. I asked him why, and he said because Sally, his late wife did. He asked her why once, and she said because her mother did.
Well we still don't know why, and although I've only been married to him for three years, I cut the ends off of potatoes for baking too. It sounds goofy, but I swear the potatoes bake better.:LOL:

ps......If I was ever called "the ole lady" or "the wife", he'd be kicked to the moon.

I would think cutting the ends off would dry the potato out, but what do I know? I always wrap potatoes/sweet potatoes in tinfoil and put a splash of water inside to steam them. They are always soft and moist.

And I guess I don't really see what the big deal is about someone saying, "the wife". I say, "the boyfriend" all the time lol. I choose to belong to him, so it wouldn't offend me at all

Back
Top Bottom