Kitchenaid recipe confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kortmann

Assistant Cook
For pizza dough, (for instance), the list of ingredients includes "2 1/2 - 3 1/2 cups flour".
The instructions say "mix liquid ingredients with 2 1/2 cups flour for 1 minute then add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough forms a ball and cleans the sides of the bowl". I am confused about whether they mean "add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time..." AS NECESSARY "until dough forms a ball and cleans the sides of the bowl" or add ALL the flour 1/2 cup at a time and process until the ball forms. At times, a ball forms after just the first 2 1/2 cups. At other times, more than 2 1/2 cups are necessary to form a ball and clean the sides.

Welcome to the site. They mean to add as necessary. You can stop adding flour once the dough forms a ball and cleans the sides of the bowl.

Thanks GB,
That was my first impulse. Now, let me take this a step further. The instructions usually include processing for some minutes after a ball forms. It sometimes happens that the dough ball re-attaches to the bowl in the center bottom well before the time is up. Is the goal to add flour sufficient to keep the ball free of the bowl for the time specified or should I ignore the re-attachment?
Ken

Some doughs are intended to be sticky when ready, others are not.

For pizza dough (for instance), that's not the case. If the dough is sticking to the bowl after it's been kneaded, that means you should add some more flour. Add it a little at a time and knead some more. The kneaded dough should not be sticky. You should be able to lift or tip it out easily.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom