"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-22-2004, 05:31 PM   #1
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiguyy
If it's a kosher event, absolutely avoid milk, beef, and pork. Safer to stick with precooked fish and chicken for the meats.

As for precooked add-ins, that's up to you. Depending on the ingredient, I like to precook some and stick with raw for others. For instance, I prefer cooked mushrooms to raw.
In some kosher circles, chicken is considered meat and cannot be used with milk. Fish, especially smoked salmon or lox is the good choice.

Old 11-22-2004, 06:21 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
Quote:
If it's a kosher event, absolutely avoid milk, beef, and pork. Safer to stick with precooked fish and chicken for the meats.

As for precooked add-ins, that's up to you. Depending on the ingredient, I like to precook some and stick with raw for others. For instance, I prefer cooked mushrooms to raw.
In some kosher circles, chicken is considered meat and cannot be used with milk. Fish, especially smoked salmon or lox is the good choice.
Really? I didn't know that. I thought it had to do with when you mix dairy and anything that drinks mother's milk as being a problem.

OH. Maybe it's not kosher to put chicken meat in eggs since the egg comes from the chicken. Oops.

Stick with fish.

Old 11-22-2004, 06:34 PM   #3
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
Quote:

Really? I didn't know that. I thought it had to do with when you mix dairy and anything that drinks mother's milk as being a problem.

OH. Maybe it's not kosher to put chicken meat in eggs since the egg comes from the chicken. Oops.

Stick with fish.
The law regarding meat dairy "do not cook a kid in its mother's milk' is the biblical basis for the meat dairy issue. Carrying it over the pountry is a rabbinical one usually followed by the orthodox. As to the egg, if it is fertalized it is considered meat, if it is not fertalized it is parve meaning neither dairy or meat and can be eaten with either one.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:33 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I dont understand this whole kosher thing. Why cant ya mix things? It doesnt seem logical.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:32 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
I dont understand this whole kosher thing. Why cant ya mix things? It doesnt seem logical.
A lot of the kosher rules had to do with ancient food handling problems. At least that's the way I heard it explained. Kept them from getting sick from the food.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:40 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
I doesn't understand this whole kosher thing. Why cant ya mix things? It doesnt seem logical.
A lot of the kosher rules had to do with ancient food handling problems. At least that's the way I heard it explained. Kept them from getting sick from the food.
Actually this is a common misconception. Deadly Sushi was right on when he said it doesn't seem logical. The very simple reason for the Kosher laws is because G-d said to do it that way. It has nothing to do with health or eating well or anything like that. It is just to show G-d that you will follow what G-d told you to do. This, obviously, is a very simplified explanation, but you get the gist. I got this information from Rabbi Kushner. You may have heard of him. He wrote the book "When bad things happen to good people". He is a world renown Rabbi and just happens to be the Rabbi at my temple.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:38 PM   #7
Sous Chef

OK. Thanks for that information. I must have been listening to the wrong people.

I have a lot more questions, but don't think this is the place to ask them. Might offend some people.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:03 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
So many people are under the HUGE misconception that it's when a Rabbi blesses what is being made - (even my Jewish friend who actually has never practiced - I swear I can't get her to believe me) - Long but thorough explanation here.

This is an excellent explanation without going into itty bitty detail.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:06 AM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Oye!!!!! :roll:
Old 11-23-2004, 12:08 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
ROFL DS - perfect response!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote