Kosher salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaZ

Senior Cook
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between kosher salt and regular salt? I see a lot of recipies calling for kosher salt - does it taste different? Can regular salt be substituted for kosher salt?

kosher salt is flaked, is easy to grab a pinch. It is (should be) only salt with no additives (so Morton with anti caking agents is out). It does not contain Iodine, (but your daily multi vitamin does) The flavor is bright not bitter. One tends to use less due to its shape.

Yes you can use regular table salt.

Because of the larger flakes with the Ksalt, a spoonful (tea or table or whatever) will hold less Ksalt than table salt so if a recipe calls for a measure of Ksalt and you use table salt, use half as much.

Personally, I think it's just more "fun" to cook with. Especially if making a salt crusted roast. It just wouldn't be the same with table salt, plus table salt dissolves more quickly. I always keep a shaker of table salt by the stove for boiling water and some on hand for the rare times I bake something.

Thanks for a rerun of the question, LinZ. I, too, would like to know more about it. I had always thought that the term "kosher" refers to a process of preparation, rather than any defining characteristic of a finished food product, and that it is a term which must be certified. Is that true? And if so, how is kosher salt made (differently, that defines it as being "kosher")? And who certifies it?

Thanks for a rerun of the question, LinZ. I, too, would like to know more about it. I had always thought that the term "kosher" refers to a process of preparation, rather than any defining characteristic of a finished food product, and that it is a term which must be certified. Is that true? And if so, how is kosher salt made (differently, that defines it as being "kosher")? And who certifies it?

You can read about the kosher part here.

Thanks everyone for the info. I figured part of it was the Jewish religious reason, but didn't know the other facts.

Thanks for the article, Frank, it was very informative. Didn't realize this was asked once before.

Back
Top Bottom