"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,362
All salt is sodium Chloride (NaCl). I exclude all the other family of salts, we're talking cooking salt. There are basically two differences, grain size and purity.

Table salt and pickling salt are finely ground. Kosher salt is coarser (the degree of coarseness varies by brand). Then there is rock salt which is appropriate for salt mills.

Impurities are what gives you black, pink, grey, brown, etc. sea salts and their distinctive flavor notes.

All salt has the same level of saltiness by weight but not by volume. A tablespoon of table salt is twice as much salt as a tablespoon of Diamond Crystal kosher salt and 1.5 times as much as Morton's kosher salt because of the differences in the coarseness of their respective grinds.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post

LOL Kind of like "wine is wine", "cheese is cheese" and a "car is a car", right?
But a good cigar is a smoke.... (Rudyard Kipling).

__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #23
Head Chef
 
Zereh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,548
=) Not sure why it's acceptable to wax poetic about different cuts of beef (cow is cow) or a variety of heirloom tomatoes (all are solanum lycopersicum no matter how they're sliced) but somehow salt is just ... salt.

In my personal experiences if table salt is subbed 1:1 for kosher salt in a recipe the dish is right on the edge of being inedible and I would consider it a total waste to pour sea salt into a dish where the flavor would be cooked away.
__________________
~~
Zereh

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
=) Not sure why it's acceptable to wax poetic about different cuts of beef (cow is cow) or a variety of heirloom tomatoes (all are solanum lycopersicum no matter how they're sliced) but somehow salt is just ... salt.

In my personal experiences if table salt is subbed 1:1 for kosher salt in a recipe the dish is right on the edge of being inedible and I would consider it a total waste to pour sea salt into a dish where the flavor would be cooked away.
Probably because you've ended up with up to twice as much salt with the table salt.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #25
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Actually, Kosher salt should be called koshering salt as it's supposed to be the salt used in koshering meats.

Check this out: Kosher salt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Exactly right.

Speaking of "impurities", those are minerals and they are good for you. But companies have found out that they can separate and sell them just like they sell the salt itself. But that is whole another discussion .
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #26
Head Chef
 
Zereh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
My point is that kosher salt, sea salt and table salt, can be a sub for each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Probably because you've ended up with up to twice as much salt with the table salt.


I think I'll go drink a big glass of vinegar. I love fermented grape juice.
__________________
~~
Zereh

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,362
I understand you are trying to point out there are differences in salts. In fact, there are differences in what's with the salt. The different flavors of different salts are because of the impurities present. 100% pure salt is all the same. Sorry.

Equating wine to vinegar doesn't strengthen your point. If you have a point to make, try to state it with facts rather than snide remarks.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #28
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I understand you are trying to point out there are differences in salts. In fact, there are differences in what's with the salt. The different flavors of different salts are because of the impurities present. 100% pure salt is all the same. Sorry.

Equating wine to vinegar doesn't strengthen your point. If you have a point to make, try to state it with facts rather than snide remarks.

++++1
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #29
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Come on people, salt is salt!!
After all, even the salt which is mined from deep underground was once "sea salt".

Not surprisingly, sea salt is easy to come by here in the Bahamas. It was once our only export, and is still produced here. The salt trade was once a large part of the country's economy.

@ Andy: Diamond Crystal was producing salt here on Long Island back in the 70's and 80's - big operation. The politics from a change in the political party in charge essentially ran them out. The ruins of the plant are on a beautiful deserted beach. This is my wife and her sister relaxing on the beach:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diamond Crystal.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	18159  
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
...@ Andy: Diamond Crystal was producing salt here on Long Island back in the 70's and 80's - big operation. The politics from a change in the political party in charge essentially ran them out. The ruins of the plant are on a beautiful deserted beach. This is my wife and her sister relaxing on the beach:
Interesting! You don't think about industry being in the Caribbean.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
salt

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.